Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2007 1:52:22 PM EDT
You know how you get cocky?  I can tear one of these down with my eyes closed!  Well my cocky-ness bit me!

Put together a very simple build.  Everything went together great.  Was done in about 1 hour and everything seemed fine at home.

Took the thing to the range and it would only fire one round.  Thought it might not have picked up the next round.  When I cleared the weapon for inspection, a live round popped out.

So I chambered up another one.  Damn!  It's not cocking.  I forgot the little &%$@#$^ spring in the trigger group.

I relay this story only as a reminder.  Don't get overly cocky!  I've ran ARs for almost 25 years now and being foolish and stupid rendered my gun a fine shooting single shot!
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 3:51:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You know how you get cocky?  I can tear one of these down with my eyes closed!  Well my cocky-ness bit me!

Put together a very simple build.  Everything went together great.  Was done in about 1 hour and everything seemed fine at home.

Took the thing to the range and it would only fire one round.  Thought it might not have picked up the next round.  When I cleared the weapon for inspection, a live round popped out.

So I chambered up another one.  Damn!  It's not cocking.  I forgot the little &%$@#$^ spring in the trigger group.

I relay this story only as a reminder.  Don't get overly cocky!  I've ran ARs for almost 25 years now and being foolish and stupid rendered my gun a fine shooting single shot!

Your next post will be  # 223 !
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#3]
My brother put his first AR together a few weeks ago.

He tried to get it together before he had to go to work, he asked me to come over and check it out to see if he had missed anything.  When the rifle failed the function check, I tore out the fcg to find the problem

He made the exact same mistake, I fixed it for him while he was at work, we went out and tested it, it functioned perfectly.  Now he's shopping around for an ACOG
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:55:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL I just put together my first build, and when I got it all together I looked down where I had all my parts sitting and seen a spring. So I looked more carefully at the trigger assembly and seen that I forgot that little spring that you put under the disconnector. So don't feel bad, your not the only one.

I'm thinking about doing my first build. Is there an..umm...instruction sheet that comes with the kits?  I've had my own AR for about 5 years now, and have taken it apart, switched butt stocks, trigger groups, etc,   But, I know there's a lot of little parts and some of them have to be installed in a certain order...
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Part of the problem is that the instructions here do NOT mention the disconnector spring.  One has to know it is necessary and how to install it to do a proper build.  I also found the hammer spring installation less than clear  I wound up with an "extra part" when I did my first build and had trouble putting the hammer spring on so since I had to take it apart to install the disconnector spring, I found out the proper location for the stirrup on the hammer spring and put everything back together correctly.
cb
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Superfluous parts, unnecessary, move along
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#7]
height=8
I'm thinking about doing my first build. Is there an..umm...instruction sheet that comes with the kits?  I've had my own AR for about 5 years now, and have taken it apart, switched butt stocks, trigger groups, etc,   But, I know there's a lot of little parts and some of them have to be installed in a certain order...

I used the instructions on this site,

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

with the instructions under the Articles & Documents part of the site here.

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/#triggerGuard

I Can't wait to build my next rifle it was really easy and fun. The hardest part was the pivot pin, but it was not that bad.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:27:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I relay this story only as a reminder.  Don't get overly cocky!  I've ran ARs for almost 25 years now and being foolish and stupid rendered my gun a fine shooting single shot

sooo,  you didnt do a function check before going to shoot this weapon?   thats got dumbass written all over it!
\
be nice
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:47:44 PM EDT
[#9]
You got lucky

Usually this mistake results in say 20 to 30 rounds downrange

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:48:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You got lucky

Usually this mistake results in say 20 to 30 rounds downrange

I did this, and it had your result.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top