Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2006 8:02:39 PM EDT
I am new to building firearms, I have worked on the rifles I have. I put a drill and tap scope mount on my sks and had no problems. I have tools and I do know how to use them.

I am planing to order from del-ton. 20" rifle kit http://www.del-ton.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=81

Wilson 20" 1x9
Standard bolt
A2 Stock (maybe green, input on color would be nice)
Standard charging handle
No detachable carry handle
Three prong flash hider (input on flash hiders would be great)
A2 gas block (I plan to cut the sights off to keep the scope low, if that is a good idea)
Standard gas tube
A2 grips
DPMS Vented FF (I don't know much about ARs but it seems like a common item used here)
Standard lower parts (I don't make much and plan on ordering a better trigger latter on)
Flat top upper (I don't know what feed ramps do, do I need them?)

What kind of special tools will I need. Del-ton says it comes with a "complete upper assembly" does that mean I need to put the barrel on?

I plan to put this together on a Stag lower as it is cheap and I like the funny looking deer on the side.

I plan to use the rifle to learn longer range shooting on(200-400 yards), maybe some pest control if the coyote population goes crazy again. But mostly it will see use once every two weeks.

I am limited on how much I can spend because work has been slow this year. So fancy triggers are going to have to wait. I do plan to fire this rifle quite a bit, even bump firing once in a while (I stand next to the sand pit wall so no rounds will get away from me).
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#1]
x1 im looking for info on this.

Also the M&I kit for $15 less... 20" wilson combat 1:9 twist
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am new to building firearms, I have worked on the rifles I have. I put a drill and tap scope mount on my sks and had no problems. I have tools and I do know how to use them.

I am planing to order from del-ton. 20" rifle kit http://www.del-ton.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=81

Wilson 20" 1x9
Standard bolt
A2 Stock (maybe green, input on color would be nice)
Standard charging handle
No detachable carry handle
Three prong flash hider (input on flash hiders would be great) standard a2 is fine
A2 gas block (I plan to cut the sights off to keep the scope low, if that is a good idea) Then get a gas block vs the FSB (although the FSB wont hinder the scopes performance, it just fades away) you'll need a barrel block to take off the FS to get the FSB off to cut it down
Standard gas tube
A2 grips
DPMS Vented FF (I don't know much about ARs but it seems like a common item used here)
Standard lower parts (I don't make much and plan on ordering a better trigger latter on)
Flat top upper (I don't know what feed ramps do, do I need them?) standard is fine, most varmit barrels wont have M4 cuts anyways
What kind of special tools will I need. Del-ton says it comes with a "complete upper assembly" does that mean I need to put the barrel on? should only need a couple of roll pin holders and a hammer, screwdriver
I plan to put this together on a Stag lower as it is cheap and I like the funny looking deer on the side. stag is good

I plan to use the rifle to learn longer range shooting on(200-400 yards), maybe some pest control if the coyote population goes crazy again. But mostly it will see use once every two weeks.

I am limited on how much I can spend because work has been slow this year. So fancy triggers are going to have to wait. I do plan to fire this rifle quite a bit, even bump firing once in a while (I stand next to the sand pit wall so no rounds will get away from me).
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:42:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Would I need to take it off the barrel? Is there something I need to do inside it after making the cuts?

I have never worked with ARs but provided I don't have to mess around with anything inside it I would prefer to cut it in place. I have cut off tools and the like.

Is the DPMS free float tube a good idea or not?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't cut off your FSB, it's not necessary for two reasons:

1) A scope with a mag > 3x will make the FSB invisible anyway, but more importantly

2) You DON'T want the scope lower than standard iron sights.  This is because the AR-15 has a straight-line design, meaning the stock is right in line with the barrel and action.  This is unlike a bolt gun, SKS, AK, etc.  This means that if you mount a scope as low on an AR as you would on a bolt gun, you won't be able to get a proper cheek weld on the stock because the scope would be too low.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:54:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll leave it alone if it's not in the way.

So how about the free float tube?

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top