Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 7:12:42 PM EDT
I'm building a flat top free floated varmint upper for my AR. After looking at low profile and railed gas blocks I guess I'd like a single railed gas block. They make steel and aluminum versions. Is one any better than the other? Who makes a decent gas block that isn't pricey? I certainly want  a quality part that fits well and won't leak. Any suggestions? Thanks, Whipper
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:17:18 PM EDT
[#1]
have you ordered the barrel already? i would just cut down the original front sight base to make a gas block. it would be robust and mated perfectly to your barrel. best of all, it's cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:02:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Steel all the way.

Aluminium and steel have different thermal expansion properties. Because of the high temperatures involved, having a steel barrel and an aluminium gas block is a bad idea.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:15:09 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are using a stainless steel barrel you should use a stainless steel gas block.  That will give you the least headaches.  Aluminum reacts to temperature changes much faster so you can have gas issues.  Keeping everything made from the same material is the ideal situation.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:38:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
have you ordered the barrel already? i would just cut down the original front sight base to make a gas block. it would be robust and mated perfectly to your barrel. best of all, it's cheaper.

+1 - This way you get a clean tight fit.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:53:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Anyone know where steel gas block can be found in .850 or larger diameters?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:12:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm building a flat top free floated varmint upper for my AR. After looking at low profile and railed gas blocks I guess I'd like a single railed gas block. They make steel and aluminum versions. Is one any better than the other? Who makes a decent gas block that isn't pricey? I certainly want  a quality part that fits well and won't leak. Any suggestions? Thanks, Whipper

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:14:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I run an aluminum .750" adjustable JP gas block which runs fine on my 3 gun rifle.  I haven't got it hot enough I guess to make it fail.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:22:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I run both types and never had a problem with any. But steel is the better choice.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:31:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Anybody?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:53:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anybody?

Larue makes a .875"
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:42:14 PM EDT
[#11]
jp has a ss single rail adj .936".
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:58:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Steel & Aluminum are about the same.  Have you ever heard of any aluminum gas blocks failing??  

Zak's 2004 ITRC report mentoned some aluminum gas blocks failing, but 500+ rounds in ~20 mins is pretty extreme.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:28:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Much to my surprise, the 1913 style gas block I ordered from Model 1 Sales is steel.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top