Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 8:29:46 AM EDT
I know there was a thread on this topic a while back but for the life of me I can't find it using the search...... nor can I find much on the subject at all. Is it recommended that when you change out barrels that you buy a new bolt (or bolt group) to go along with the new barrel or can you simply use your old bolt group and just check the head spacing to make sure everything is good to go? I see a lot of guys here installing new barrels onto existing upper receivers but no mention if you are using the existing bolt groups. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:34:04 AM EDT
[#1]
If you're replacing the barrel becuase it's worn out, I'd replace the bolt no matter what. If you're just changing to a different type of barrel on a gun that's been fired very little, I'd check headspace on and likely use the old bolt. The bolt carrier is usually re-useable as long as it isn't cracked or something.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:53:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Yea, I should have given a little more detail...... this particular upper (to include the bolt group) only has about 2,000 rounds through it. The barrel is far from shot out. Only reason I'm changing barrels is because it's an upper I've had laying around with a 16" barrel and carbine length gas system.....it works but I'm less than thrilled with it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I would re-use the old bolt and just go shooting.  A headspace issue on the AR system due to use/wear is rare.

IF you are going to check the headspace, there is NO reason not to continue to use the old bolt.

Are we talking a bolt that is over 20 years old and have more than 20,000 rounds on it?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:56:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yea, I should have given a little more detail...... this particular upper (to include the bolt group) only has about 2,000 rounds through it. The barrel is far from shot out. Only reason I'm changing barrels is it's an upper I've had laying around with a 16" barrel and carbine length gas system.....it works but I'm less than thrilled with it.

2000 rounds is practically ZERO wear on the bolt.  Install your new barrel, reuse the existing bolt, and have fun.  I always reused the existing carrier group when swapping barrels.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:56:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yea, I should have given a little more detail...... this particular upper (to include the bolt group) only has about 2,000 rounds through it. The barrel is far from shot out. Only reason I'm changing barrels is it's an upper I've had laying around with a 16" barrel and carbine length gas system.....it works but I'm less than thrilled with it.

In that case, I'd re-use the bolt.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:57:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Define "headspace"

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:04:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Define "headspace"

(just kidding!)  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:10:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the fast responses......looks like I have my answer (and then some)

MEI2757935 ...... LOL..... yea, I'm a newbie when it comes to this kind of stuff. I've been humping this platform in one form or another for about 20 years between the military and "private" sector but I've always just used what was issued to me or purchased as a complete rifle/carbine. Figured it's about time to "play around" with them a bit for a change.

Thanks for everyones input!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:14:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the fast responses......looks like I have my answer (and then some)

MEI2757935 ...... LOL..... yea, I'm a newbee when it comes to this kind of stuff. I've been humping this platform in one form or another for about 20 years between the military and "private" sector but I've always just used what was issued to me or purchased as a complete rifle/carbine. Figured it's about time to "play around" with them a bit for a change.

Thanks for everyones input!

Be very careful!!  Working on these suckers can take the addiction to a much higher level, one you may never recover from....  Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:14:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Define "headspace"

www.kevinholman.com/fun/googlemutha.JPG

(just kidding!)  

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Be very careful!!  Working on these suckers can take the addiction to a much higher level, one you may never recover from....  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Ain't that the truth!  

[doofus] Duh... hey, I've got a spare upper receiver laying in the safe...  Looks like I've got to spend $750 to build something around that $95 part![/doofus]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#12]
+1 to increased BRD
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top