Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 6:04:41 AM EDT
Hey guys, got a question or two...

I've been focusing on a mid-length upper for my first build that started late last year and it looks like there aren't a whole lot of people making them and the ones that are seem to be perpetually out of stock.  So here's the question(s):

-Does a Pig Tail Gas Tube give you the same benefits as the mid-length gas systems or would it be closer to a rifle gas system?  

-Does the Pig Tail fit under free floats? (as in if I get a pig tail, later add a low profile gas block and free floating rifle length 4-rail, can I stuff it all in the free floater?)

-Any advantages/disavantages of one over ther other?  (aside from cost)

Thanks,

-JBot

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:56:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Whoa! I just looked up what a pigtail tube was. What the hell? I've never seen anyone using those before. Now I'm interested too.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:48:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Anyone?

-JBot
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:45:37 AM EDT
[#3]
"-Does the Pig Tail fit under free floats? (as in if I get a pig tail, later add a low profile gas block and free floating rifle length 4-rail, can I stuff it all in the free floater?)"

They were originally designed to fit. As far as some of the newer rail systems, I can't promise it will fit.  

Tell us the brand of free float & maybe we can answer that Q.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've been focusing on a mid-length upper for my first build.....it looks like there aren't a whole lot of people making them and the ones that are seem to be perpetually out of stock.

Order from CMMG and be patient.   They have the best selection of barrel profiles and options.   Hell, they might have middys in stock.  They did when I ordered mine a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm looking to add a Samson rail later on...either mid or rifle length....but, I just really want a mid system.  I guess it comes down to whether or not the pig tail will do a better job of slowing the bolt cycle than the mid system.

and, I've looked at the CMMG site...they are neck and neck with Talon Arms as far as the mids go...and when they might be available...hanks
-Jbot
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#6]
When I asked around I was warned away from pigtails due to reliability issue.  Midlengths are ubiquitous.  I have a BCM in my room right now.  I certainly like it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:05:40 AM EDT
[#7]
The pigtail does not really do what they say it will. It still taps the gas pressure too soon, making a longer run doesn't really do the same thing as moving the port further from the chamber.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top