Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 12:35:40 PM EDT
Does anyone know where to get a die to thread a 9mm barrel for a flash hider. It is the 1/2 by 36 thread. Brownels advertises the 1/2 by 28, but that will not work as my suppressor is 9 mm.
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Good advice, except it is already threaded, I just want to clean it up a bit.
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:36:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Check your local machine shop, they may run a die over it for you. Probably just a $5 type cash deal.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:32:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:19:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

A GOOD machinist can "pick up" on those threads and single point chase them.
You might also look for a thread file that will follow the existing theads.

Good advice.  You can use a simple 60 triangular needle file to clean up threads a bit.  It's easy if you have a way of rotating the bbl slowly and evenly.  Of course a lathe is the best, but I'm sure there are other means.  Once the bbl is rotating, apply the file at the correct angle (gently) and allow the bbl's rotation to carry the file along the entire thread run.  

A triangular needle file is already set up with a 60 degree angle.  it needs to be held evenly and with a bit of cant or lead.  It's not going to remove a lot of metal, so don't be afraid to try it a bit.  I've used this technique after chasing threads in the lathe, and I just want to deburr or remove that last 0.0002" because the thread is just a little bit tight.

Follow any threading op with a wire brushing.  This will also ease the fits a bit.  When a barrel or any thread job leaves my lathe, it is usually in a state of "Yeah it'll screw on, but it's distinctly firm".  Wire brush, + needle file, + a few on and off with oil of the female thread item will take it to a nice state.

Good luck!  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Look at  J&L,  and   ISC
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top