Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 10:42:59 AM EDT
I've recently gotten interested in the black riffle and want to try a build.  I think that for my first build, buying a kit would be the best way to get myself aquainted with all of the parts.  I've seen some talk on here about del-ton riffle kits and I just wanted to get your opinions on the quality of the kit and if you all have any suggestions for a first time builder.

Thanks a lot
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#1]
From what I've read, Del-Ton is supposed to make really nice kits, and their customer service is supposed to be excellent. I've also read alot of good things about J & T too, as their customer service is supposed to be top notch also. The only negitive thing I've heard is that J & T has cheap lower parts, but alot of people order their stuff, probably just an isolated incident. Doesn't J & T use Shaw barrels, and Del-Ton use Wilson Arms(same barrel RRA uses?)? I think Del-Ton is a little cheaper also.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#2]
both are very good.    buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#3]
How about the lower parts kit that comes with the del-ton kit?  I've read that some people on here reccomend buying a lower parts kit as opposed to using the one that comes with the riffle kit.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Just built my AR with a Del-Ton kit on top of a Stag stripped lower.

I loved it because I bought all the "aftermarket" parts (DPMS barrel, YHM handguards, YHM flash hider, Tango Down pistol grip, ARMS BUIS, etc.) already installed and ready to go. In the long run, I ended up saving a few bucks, as well.

I don't know the quality difference betwen LPK's, but mine installed just fine.

Quality was great, customer service top-notch, and fast shipping. Received it within a week of ordering it. Plus, they test out the upper before shipping out.

Next time, I'll probably build the upper myself, but for my first kit (since I'm a newbie) it was a great choice.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:35:54 AM EDT
[#5]
The Del-Ton kits are very nice and a good deal. It is much cheaper to get the whole kit, but if you want to splurge, get a RRA or Stag lpk. I think they are nicer.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:49:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I love Del-Ton kits. I have two of them, an M4A3 16" and a 20" A3.

My 16" upper arrived with the A2 FH canted to the right quite a bit, and the FSB canted to the right as well. I noticed recently that my optics would slide around on the A3 upper rail. After shooting the upper for 6mos, I sent it back to Del-Ton and within a week had a new upper with all the issues fixed.

They have incredible customer service and if I ever build another AR, it will be a Del-Ton kit.

The 20" appears to have no problems so far.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:16:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Del-Ton kits are good quality kits, I’ve dealt with them numerous times. Have never had any problems with their LPK’s either, they rank with the best.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:17:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Another thumbs up for delton.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like from what I  have read on this post and other posts as well, del-ton is a good company to go with.  I think I am going to go with the A2 with a flat top.  Anyone have suggestions about whether to go with a rail for a scope or scope rings?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:23:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I am going to go with the del-ton 20" riffle.  I ordered my lower, a Stag, and a few mags last night.  I have to decide now whether to get the flat top or the carry handle upper and also choose what stock I want.  I read the thread on here about a colapsable stock on a 20" looking funny, but I think the colapsable will help with the overall use that I want to get out of the riffle.  If anyone one has suggestions on flat top/carry handle or what type of stock, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#11]
What lower parts are they using?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What lower parts are they using?

You know, I don't know what lower parts kit they use.  Their site does not specify what they use, or what brands they even offer.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I wanted to throw this out there also to see if anyone can tell me about this.  I've seen guns built on a .223 or 5.56 NATO round and have heard talk that if you build or buy a gun .233 that you can't shoot the NATO round, but if you build/buy a gun for 5.56 you can shoot either or.  Is there any truth to that?  To me it doesn't make sense.

THanks
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:41:47 PM EDT
[#14]
They are very good to deal with.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:44:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

What do you mean they are both good to deal with?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:30:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you mean they are both good to deal with?

He means Del and Ton!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#17]
gotcha, but who is who?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I just got my delton kit, amazing quality and great cust service. Thumbs up here
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:33:29 AM EDT
[#19]

I wanted to throw this out there also to see if anyone can tell me about this. I've seen guns built on a .223 or 5.56 NATO round and have heard talk that if you build or buy a gun .233 that you can't shoot the NATO round, but if you build/buy a gun for 5.56 you can shoot either or. Is there any truth to that? To me it doesn't make sense.

THanks

It is dangerous to shoot 5.56 in a .223 chamber but not the other way around. Check www.ammo-oracle.com for all the information you could every want on .223 / 5.56
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#20]
does anyone know which caliber chamber del-ton uses?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:14:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm pretty sure Del-Ton is chambered for the 5.56 NATO round.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#22]
They use DPMS LPK's, Wilson Arms barrels, RRA m4 stocks and CMT uppers and BCG's.  I built mine on a delton kit and it has been awesome.  The m4 handguards have double heat shields and are nice too.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I went ahead and purchased my kit today.  I went with the del-ton.  20" with flat top on a stag lower.  Should have everything in hopefully a week or so.  I'm looking forward to putting it all together.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I got my del-ton 20" kit put together about a week ago and had the chance to take it out to the range.  It was fun shootin it.  I'll get some pictures up soon.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:24:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I've used DPMS, J&T and Del-ton with no complaints.  A little birdie once told me the del-ton kits are the same as DPMS.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
How about the lower parts kit that comes with the del-ton kit?  I've read that some people on here reccomend buying a lower parts kit as opposed to using the one that comes with the riffle kit.

I had problems fitting a couple of pins in a Stag lower with Del-Ton's lower parts kit.  I'm not saying anything bad about Del-Ton (or Stag), I'm just saying that the two were not compatible in my experience.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:44:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had problems fitting a couple of pins in a Stag lower with Del-Ton's lower parts kit.  I'm not saying anything bad about Del-Ton (or Stag), I'm just saying that the two were not compatible in my experience.

all of my pins seemed to fit just fine.  Maybe you had a little bur somewhere?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top