Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/3/2006 4:42:14 PM EDT
I purchased a kit from model 1 and started the build (car 15 dpms receiver).  The front detent and spring can not be compressed enough useing the pivot pin install tube to allow the install tool to move away from it.  Are their differnt springs or detents for this gun part. different lengths????????

Detent can not be pushed in enough for pivot pin  tool to function.

Thanks for any help Mike h
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I purchased a kit from model 1 and started the build (car 15 dpms receiver).  The front detent and spring can not be compressed enough useing the pivot pin install tube to allow the install tool to move away from it.  Are their differnt springs or detents for this gun part. different lengths????????

Detent can not be pushed in enough for pivot pin  tool to function.

Thanks for any help Mike h

Sometimes they have grit in the hole, clean it out and see if it fits.  It might not be drilled deep enough.  If so drill it deeper.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#2]
First - try to clean out the hole - just by hand spinning a tiny drill bit in there.  If that isnt it - just clip some coils from the spring - that is a common fix.  I always clip mine so the spring is just flush or a bit inside the hole.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:48:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Have had the same thing from M1S kits (just clipped them off a bit).  Never with J&T kits or DPMS parts from midwayusa.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Or you can use a file, and take a bit off one side of the detent, just be sure to put the filed end against the spring!!!!

John
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help I am almost finished my first build, well partial build.  I purchased a car 15 4 position stock set from model one sales.  The rifle is complete except for the front detent pin that flew into orbit ( I know should have used a clear bag).  The same pin is used for the take down pin so I ordered a couple with a few other small parts.  The upper was already done by model one sales.  I can't wait until the parts arrives so I can officialy be finished.  Does any body have pics of how a sling mounts on the stock.  I want a plane jane sling not some kind of combat sling.

Thanks Mike H

edited found link showing sling attachment:
http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/howtosetuptopsling.msnw
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top