Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2006 6:06:53 AM EDT
I just put another upper together and ran into a small issue thats driving me a bit nuts. I have the barrel nut tightened up pretty good but am not quite in perfect alignment with the gastube. I gave up for last night but think I may be able to budge it ever so slightly to get it right and thats a big "think". Its pretty snug thus far. If I were to back it off and then retighten it a bit less I feel as though it will not be tight enough. I lubed the threads and mating surfaces with some moly grease. I just don't want to got too far as I don't trust aluminum threads. I have never had this problem before. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:29:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Tighten it down, back it off.  Do this 3 times and you should see a difference.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:48:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I backed it off several times and restarted the threads hoping its final resting position would change. I'll have to keep doing until its right. I just never had any problems before
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#3]
read the tacked threads.

tighten, back off a bit, tighten, back off a bit, tighten....

it works it  closer to tighter indexing the slots further.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:54:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll try that
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:03:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought that is what I said.....
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#6]
You both did. Unfortunately, I've done it several times so I figure I'll just give it a shot again and hope it works. Otherwise, I need it to really turn another 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch and I am there. The gas tube goes in but would have to be held straight. That, to me, is half assed and plus I am pretty sure the carrier will get hung up on it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I backed it off several times and restarted the threads hoping its final resting position would change. I'll have to keep doing until its right. I just never had any problems before

from what i read this sounds like you are taking the bbl. nut completely off and starting over each time.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I thought that is what I said.....

from what i read in his reply to your's it sounded like he though you said to remove the barrel nut and re-install 3x's

was just trying to make it clear.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top