Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2006 9:39:04 AM EDT
I had mentioned this before casually after I built this thing, but I"m a little more concerned.

Basically, what happened, is I had a bugger getting my FSB pins out.  

However, one side I beat to death, but the other, seemed to pop right now.  However, I used just a slightly oversized punch to "start" it out, but when I hit it, the punch went down and dug in into the FSB a little bit.  Didn't think much of it.  But when I got it back together, that side (the one that came out easy) won't go back in fully.  The small side is right under being flush with the FSB body.

Is this bad?  I'm worried there is a "ridge" I created with the punch, and now that pin is not going to actually be tight.  Is there any chance it will put awkward stresses on the barrel inhibiting accuracy?  I put them in with a very light hammer, but quite a few taps to ensure they were in solid.

Would it be worth taking the FSB off again and "reaming" that out again to get these burrs or ridges out that I obviously put in at some point?

Thanks,
Gundraw
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Pins are cheap.  Try new pins.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Try switching the pins.  If anything dinging the FSB will give you a tighter fit.  Use a big hammer, support and a drive punch.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I put them in with a very light hammer, but quite a few taps to ensure they were in solid.

That's you problem right there.  Hit the damn things.  they will go exactly where they were.  You arent hitting them hard enough.  Trust me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Use a big hammer, support and a drive punch.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I put them in with a very light hammer, but quite a few taps to ensure they were in solid.

That's you problem right there.  Hit the damn things.  they will go exactly where they were.  You arent hitting them hard enough.  Trust me.

Already tried it.  When I FIRST put them in, I noticed it, so I beat the shit out of 'em.  Wouldn't go in.  Accuracy is the name of the game on this rig and I didn't want to be putting any undue stress on them.  So I hammered them back out, and put them in lightly.

Will the pin not going completely through the FSB be a problem in any way other than just look funny?

Gundraw
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Already tried it.  When I FIRST put them in, I noticed it, so I beat the shit out of 'em.  Wouldn't go in.  Accuracy is the name of the game on this rig and I didn't want to be putting any undue stress on them.  So I hammered them back out, and put them in lightly.

Will the pin not going completely through the FSB be a problem in any way other than just look funny?

Gundraw

Did you try swapping them with each other?  I just have never had this happen.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#7]
FALARAK -

No I haven't tried swapping them.  I just tried to keep them in their respective holes.  I take it this does not matter?

The MAIN concern with this weapon is accuracy.  I"ve heard that these pins induce stresses into the barrels?  So I'm trying to avoid POUnDING them in.  It is strange though, it just hangs up hard on something and really feels like it's "done".

Should I try to hit them hard to get it through, then punch them back out and reset them?

Thanks,
Gundraw
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
FALARAK -

No I haven't tried swapping them.  I just tried to keep them in their respective holes.  I take it this does not matter?

The MAIN concern with this weapon is accuracy.  I"ve heard that these pins induce stresses into the barrels?  So I'm trying to avoid POUnDING them in.  It is strange though, it just hangs up hard on something and really feels like it's "done".

Should I try to hit them hard to get it through, then punch them back out and reset them?

Thanks,
Gundraw

The point of swaping them is perhaps you already did and didn't realize it.  You didn't swap the FSB did you?  If they came out of the hole, they will go back into the hole.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I swapped them real quick and it reversed the problem.  Now the OTHER side won't go in.  I suppose I'll buy two new taper pins.  Where's the best place to get them without getting raped for shipping... anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks,
Gundraw

This is the anal side of me again, but I must ask.  While I was pounding them out, they really gave me a run for my money (short of my punch bending everytime which finally broke...).  However, I had the upper on a rag lying on the vice.  I did notice one time I gave them a tap, it has scooted over and was resting on the FF forearm.  Is there a chance I damaged it would have caused an accuracy degredation?  What should I check for damage??  I didn't mar the forearm or anything, and it felt solid when I hit it, like maybe it was being supported elsewhere.  I just want to make sure...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd look to see if the barrel sits in the center of the forearm, if you're concerned about hitting the thing by accident caused it to be bent or something. All the FF forearms by their very nature are designed to take lateral and/or vertical stresses without distortion, so one stray whack against the thing IMHO shouldn't damage or cant the forearm.

If you're REALLY anal, check out the distance between the side of the barrel and the inside of the forearm on each side. That'll tell you if there is much to be concerned about.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'd look to see if the barrel sits in the center of the forearm, if you're concerned about hitting the thing by accident caused it to be bent or something. All the FF forearms by their very nature are designed to take lateral and/or vertical stresses without distortion, so one stray whack against the thing IMHO shouldn't damage or cant the forearm.

If you're REALLY anal, check out the distance between the side of the barrel and the inside of the forearm on each side. That'll tell you if there is much to be concerned about.

Hope this helps.

Just looking, it seems fine.  I noticed on one corner it had a little nick where it obviously broke through the rag and hit the vice.  I just want to be sure I didn't hinder accuracy.

Second, I want to get a new pin without spending $5 for shipping.  The real kick is I JUST put an order into Midwayusa about 4 days ago.  That woulda been a clean $.99.  

I just find it funny that I got these pins in and out like 4 times and was so proud I didn't bugger anything else up in the process.  Refinished the FSB and everything.  Then, this BS starts up and I quick run the pins out and this happens.  

Gundraw
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
...I just find it funny that I got these pins in and out like 4 times and was so proud I didn't bugger anything else up in the process.  Refinished the FSB and everything.  Then, this BS starts up and I quick run the pins out and this happens.  

Gundraw

Yeah, yeah whatever. Welcome to my world.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Alright.  I was trying to think where to buy some new pins, and finally figured out I had a set lying around!  So I tapped them in.  Didn't go crazy.  Just tapped them in, drove them back out.  Relubed them (forgot to keep them separate to ensure they went in the same hole... )  And then tapped them back in.  This is what I came up with:

Does this look okay now??  Notice the front one seems to be a little further out?  

Should I leave it???

Gundraw
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks fine.  I think you are taking this a bit too seriously.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Alright, I got pissed off again that these still looked a little funny.  Decided to swap THOSE two pins.  Guess what.  The "out" pin swapped with them.  SO.  I took the pin that went in furthest from the first set, and the pin that went in furthest from the set I had around the house, and got this:

Anyone see any problem with using pins from two sets?  

If not, I'm gonna refinish and hopefully I'll never have to touch a punch to them ever again.

Gundraw

P.S. Also, any chances I damaged anything with my "FreeFloating FSB support"...  Can't see any signs of damage.  Just hoping its okay.  Any other input on that would be great too.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
hopefully I'll never have to touch a punch to them ever again.

Gundarw

as in "Gundarwin" ?  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
hopefully I'll never have to touch a punch to them ever again.

Gundarw

as in "Gundarwin" ?  

Damn it, you caught me...
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top