User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:29:32 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
    Gunfighter, if you do want to jump into the 80% game-stay away from the cast recievers.  I built one yesterday and the quality was terrible.  I knew that going in and did it just to prove to myself I could.

The mag well was undersize and took 2 hours of file/dremel work.  The mag catch slot was undersized.  The bolt hold open slot was undersized.  The fire control well was undersized and the rear takedwon well was small as well.  All in all I have about 8 hours of work in the reciever and it is still a piece of crap, but it is a piece of crap that goes bang that I bulit myself using only a CNCGunsmithing jig, a dremel tool, a 1/2" handdrill and basic hand tools.

Save your self the agony and buy a quality 80% forging or billet reciever.  Buy the CNCGunsmithing jig and the drill bits and taps.  You can build your receiver in about 2 hours if you have access to a good drill press and a basic knowledge of hand tools.  I used a hand drill to satisfy some masochistic urge, but you really need a quality drill press to do the job easily and correctly.  Also buy one of the 80% reicevers that doesn't require the recoil tube hole to be drilled to size before tapping, that is the most dificult operation and the most expensive bit to buy.

Good luck on your build.  Besides the advice on the 80% reciever,  I would tell you that before posting on a new inernet site, do a little serious lurking and see what the norms are for that site.  People on this site are very carefull to keep things above board and on the level.  Anything that is percieved as trying to circumvent the law is strictly taboo.  I don't think that was your intent, but some saw it as such.  On a positeve note, you didn't get toasted nearly as bad as the fellow who asked about converting an Airsoft or Replica to fire real ammo.  Welcome to ARFCOM!

(edited because my indents didn't show for my paragraphs)

Thanks brother!  I just bought the CNC jig and hope to have it soon.  I think I'm going to pick up a billet lower from KTO.  I have a friend who is a genius gunsmith and machinist.  I'm hoping to get some hands on help with him.  If it's only a couple of hours worth of work, I'll probably ask if I can do it in his shop.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:51:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Boy that quieted things down.

His first post was written in a manner that sounds like he is a felon trying to come up with an untraceable  weapon.  His second post says he is a Fed and knew it was legal the entire time.

I would suggest it quieted down because people figured they were mislead, and now consider him untrust worthy.

And/or a total bullshit artist.  Frankly, I want nothing to do with this person, and truly hope he finds another website to ask his inane questions on.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I’m still a little confused about how asking the question I did makes me seem like a shady person.  What is the difference between milling out an 80% casting and milling out a demo model?  You still end up with the same result.  My friend was simply suggesting I would save myself some milling work if I went with the demo rather than the casting.  Now I know it would be a waste of time, if even possible.  

Maybe my profession makes you nervous, in which case, I’m not on here fishing for a case.  I came to this board because I truly want to get into homebuilding and I want to make a memorial rifle.  If that bothers you, than that’s your problem because I’m here to stay.

P.S.  Happy New Year.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I’m still a little confused about how asking the question I did makes me seem like a shady person.  What is the difference between milling out an 80% casting and milling out a demo model?  You still end up with the same result.  My friend was simply suggesting I would save myself some milling work if I went with the demo rather than the casting.  Now I know it would be a waste of time, if even possible.  

Maybe my profession makes you nervous, in which case, I’m not on here fishing for a case.  I came to this board because I truly want to get into homebuilding and I want to make a memorial rifle.  If that bothers you, than that’s your problem because I’m here to stay.

P.S.  Happy New Year.  

I would assume it was a combination of things.  This site has been trolled on variouse times.  Your first posting and the nature of the topic was the trigger....  The 'veteran' posters/members viewed it as possibly a felon or other individual attempting to dig up info for illicit purposes (ie an anti gunner wishing to dig up dirt....).  But I think most know, that if somenone wanted illicit info, there are plenty of books and other ways to get said info....

edit-
If you are wanting to build, I recall there are a few other sites that are dedicated to 80% or 0%.  I'd have to look at my bookmark list to see which it was..... I don't frequent those sites that much.

Depending on how much $$$ you want to spend, you could buy a jig to hold the 80% AR lower in and it positions all the holes.  Just have to drill..... Look on Tanny's site.

edit II-
Da site: HERE

About your question, depending on the percent completed the demo model is at and which sections need finishing, it could be trouble.  The one demo model I saw, the trigger area was done, but as it said, it had a block that was bascially, hard to remove and if removal was tried, it would destroy lower making it unusuable (which is the purpose).  I don't know who else sells demos.  I suppose if you found a demo that had the mag well finished and the trigger area milled, but no buffer threads.....

The cost of doing an 80% vs buying a completed is expensive.... It's "interesting" to me, but at the current moment, not something I would want to do.  Just to do or the learning experiance, I understand....as I do things like that too....
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Kaliburz, I really appreciate your input.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:14:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

P.S.  Happy New Year.  

Happy New Year to you too...

Well this thread does prove the point that collectively we have more gun law knowledge than the feds do. After all with all this guys friends, he comes to us.

If you are here to stay. How about buying a team membership?

Its well worth it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought one yesterday.  I'm not sure if I'm supposed to wait unil the staff upgrade my account, or if I'm suppose to do something more.  The only email I received was the PayPal receipt.  I'm going to wait another day or two though.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:30:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds good.  Thanks Tweak.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#10]
That's how come forums get the nickname of "the hive mind"....... "Resistance is Futile.  Your cultural...." opps...never mind....

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:36:15 PM EDT
[#11]
sheesh
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#12]
mooooooo
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top