Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 6:53:03 AM EDT
I am looking at the various low profile gas blocks and wondering about installs.  Larue for example, it has the screws and some makers say that the barrel should have coresponding divets...  Some say red Loctite and some say green.  

I don't want the gas block to heat up, expand, and move which could happen since it's going to get very hot.  

Does anyone make a steel low profile gas block?  What are your thoughts about the screws vs pins?  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:38:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#3]
The LaRue gas block is made of steel and that is what I have used on my three AR's.  The LaRue comes with blue loctite which I used on all and only haad problems with one (my 7.5" SBR).  The loctite melted and the gas block moved forward enough to cause short strokes.  I cleaned everything up and used "Red Loctite".  Haven't had any problems since.

MadDog
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:32:36 PM EDT
[#4]
it seems all new larue gas blocks are coming with red....
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#5]
you can take your A frame to a grinder of course.  My preference is tward pins but I am sure the other will work fine for you.  Especially if you make divets.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#6]
You can cut down your existing front sight base and make a "gas block-only" part out of it.  Here's one I did for a build awhile ago.  This way it fits the original barrel perfectly and uses the original taper pins as well.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:50:39 PM EDT
[#7]
looks nice....will that slide under neath a larue hand guard?

How did you finish it? Cold blue, spray paint?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top