Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2005 10:46:58 AM EDT
I'm wanting to do some airbrush camo on a couple of my guns, my question is what type of finish to get?  Should I go Norell's molly resin, or Duracoat?  Could you post your experiences with these coatings please.

PolytechKID
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Norrells AR15 Refinishing Guide

Take a look through that thread, but it should answer most questions.  If you still have questions, feel free to fire away.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:36:26 PM EDT
[#3]
My experiences with Duracoat.

I have Duracoated 2 rifles and misc parts, my buddy sprayed one I did the other. I had bad luck with the cheap airbrush, air can sold in a  kit. It wouldn't feed paint, when it would it was blobs. tried everything to remedy it and ended up ordering a paasche single action brush with a compressor.
 Spraying.
 The Duracoat finish sprays great with the compressor set to 30 psi and a medium needle. Use a small spray pattern to finish small parts and open it up for the larger parts. Heed the directions when it states to let the finish cure for 3 to 4 weeks for use(you can bake it to speed up the process). I built one of the rifles 24 hrs after spraying and the finish was real fragile, coming off during assembly in some spots. The other rifle cured the full time and the finish is much more durable. Regular lacquer thinner cleans up the equipment nice and is a lot cheaper than the Lauer reducer.

I havn't tried Norrells yet but I have a bottle of glossy black and am going to spray a pistol using Stickmans excellent tutorial.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:18:17 PM EDT
[#4]
i used duracoat, didnt have spare oven.  i would invest in a airbrush compressor.  those cans of propellant are less than desirable.  i reassembled after a couple days and was ok.  you may get a different finish on different parts depending on the texture.  this can be remedied with the clear, but have not tried it.  i will use it again.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:33:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I love Norell's moly!

It's hard as nails... I can literally scratch it with my nail and it's my nail that comes off on the rifle.
It's clean, flat, and messy to work with.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top