Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2005 12:58:08 PM EDT
I've been waiting to put one of Colt-653's A1-style lowers on the Colt M16A1 upper I got from CDNN, but I'm getting impatient.  Should I keep waiting?  Or should I refinish an A2-style lower to use until someone offers an A1-style lower?

If I refinish an A2 lower, I'll probably go with Colt (for an all-Colt end product, but more money) or CMT/Stag (value).  I'd consider Mega, since Carricoz is local, but the "Gator" grip in front of the mag well would make it even less authentic...Maybe a Stinger?

I've used Moly Resin before with great results and Norrell makes a color that is supposed to match the old Colts.  From what I've read, Sandstrom 9A doesn't sound much harder to use.

Any opinions?

Oh, and where can I get an A1-style selector?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:37:12 PM EDT
[#1]
What happened to Colt 653's retro lower project?The last I read his thread was locked.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:35:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What happened to Colt 653's retro lower project?
The last I read his thread was locked.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=33&t=148750
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:33:28 AM EDT
[#3]
When will people learn not to deal with anything ASA related.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I think I am just going to buy an A2-style lower, have it machined to A1 specs (or as close as possible) and refinished in Sandstrom 9A.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think I am just going to buy an A2-style lower, have it machined to A1 specs (or as close as possible) and refinished in Sandstrom 9A.

If you find anyone willing to do the machining, by all means post the info.   But I stongly suspect that you won't---or at least not find anyone willing to do it for less than double what you paid for the lower in the first place.

It's a bitch of a job, even with a fully equipped machine shop.  Which is why I did my own conversions, using only files and abrasive paper.  And to repeat----it's a bitch of a job.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top