Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2005 5:30:24 PM EDT
I just finished most of the lower build and had very few problems, but I do have a question.  

First, just a comment.  I picked up a Yellow Tavern small parts kit when I got the lower, and I have to say that they give you just aboout everything, except extra $&#^! rear takedown detent, which was the first thing I lost.  So the extra $18 didn't help me at all, which was a little frustrating.  I probably missed that tip in a dozen places, but figured I'd mention it.

My question is that the lower assembly instructions on this site state pretty clearly that you ought to get the front pivot pin right the first time, because it's difficult to remove it.  I just know I'm missing something obvious, but don't I need to pull this pin at least partially out to pin the upper and lower together?  I may not have gotten this right, because the pin is IN there, and not moving.  Same question on the rear pin, although that's not an issue until I receive my replacement detent.

Other than that, the instructions on the site, and tips, were excellent and made the process go pretty smoothly.  Thanks, from a new guy!

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Which side did you install the pin from?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I installed it so that the head of the pin was on the same side as the spring/detent hole -- as far as I could tell that was the only way it would fit.  I'm looking at the diagram now, looks right.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:50:33 PM EDT
[#3]
That is correct. When you say it's "in there", do you mean it won't tap out? Did you use any CLP or other lube?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I got it -- I hadn't used any CLP or anything, and it was a tighter fit than I figured it would be.  I covered the end of the pin and gave it a good whack, and it came out.  Lesson learned on the CLP!  Thanks for the reply.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top