Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2005 6:34:58 PM EDT
I'll start with the stupid ones:

(1) I'm seeing 14.5" barrels on $700 rifles, no tax stamp required. I thought 16" was the min for both rifles and shotguns. Set me straight fellers.

(2) Is the stock and buffer tube all I need to replace a standard 5 gallon stock with a collapsible? (or is the buffer thingy and spring or any other hardware different too?)

Getting less stupid:

(3) From 17 years ago I remember a company would take any gun and permanently apply just about any camo pattern or color you wanted to the entire firearm using some PTFE-like no-scratch material. The results are pretty amazing. Many turkey and duck shotguns come with this same finish. Does anybody still offer this service in a custom format?

and

(4) Don't 1:7" barrels chew up FMJ ammo since they were made for ss109 ammo? If I plan to put S&B FMJs through a barrel, don't I want 1:9"?

Thanks, guys!

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:39:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'll start with the stupid ones:

(1) I'm seeing 14.5" barrels on $700 rifles, no tax stamp required. I thought 16" was the min for both rifles and shotguns. Set me straight fellers. Hmmm...I'm thinking its a permanently attached flash hider that extends the barrel to 16in..

(2) Is the stock and buffer tube all I need to replace a standard 5 gallon stock with a collapsible? (or is the buffer thingy and spring or any other hardware different too?)I think the collapsible stock needs a carbine size spring and buffer...don't quote me on that...someone else here will definately be able to give ya a 100% answer. Here is a link of a discussion on springs and buffers www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=252071

Getting less stupid:

(3) From 17 years ago I remember a company would take any gun and permanently apply just about any camo pattern or color you wanted to the entire firearm using some PTFE-like no-scratch material. The results are pretty amazing. Many turkey and duck shotguns come with this same finish. Does anybody still offer this service in a custom format? I know what your talking about but I can't think of the company

and

(4) Don't 1:7" barrels chew up FMJ ammo since they were made for ss109 ammo? If I plan to but S&B FMJs through a barrel, don't I want 1:9"? I have a 1:7and have shot fmj with no problems...I'm pretty sure your good to go. Its the grain of the bullet you must watch out for. A 1:7 can shoot up to 80 grain Sierras. The 1:9 tops out at 69grains I believe.

Thanks, guys!

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#2]
1.) Permanently attached FH legally brings the barrel length to over 16" with the right FH.

2.) Stock, buffer tube, buffer, and buffer spring are all specialized for each stock. If you have an A2 stock and want to go collapsible, you'll need the stock, tube, spring, and buffer for the carbine stock. These are included in most all of the stocks you'll get.

3.) Not sure.....I'm only 19

4.) I've had no problems with my 1:7 barrels and FMJ ammo. I have found that they like (accuracy-wise) the 62gr stuff a little more than the 55gr. They still shoot 55gr really well, though.

Hope this helps.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:21:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:40:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks you guys!

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top