Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 8:29:12 AM EDT
After doing a search and not finding the answer I needed, I've come to you guys for help.

I'm preparing to do a RECCE-ish build and I'm wondering if there is a low-profile gas block that does not use set screws but, instead, uses cross bolts or some other clamping system AND fits under a Daniel Defense FF tube.  I intend to put a DD 12.0 on a mid-length upper and would like to do it without having to mill flats on my barrel to accomodate set screws.

My other builds with DD tubes have all involved me grinding down my FSB to fit.  Not a huge chore but I was wanting to save this FSB in case I decide to go back to stock config.

Any suggestions or do I just bite the bullet and mill the flats then buy a PRI or LT gas block?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:47:47 AM EDT
[#1]
might be usless to you but

http://www.yhm.net/store/sights.html   ->  check out Specter Gas Block
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#2]
For a PRI, KAC, SPR or LT, you don't need flats milled.  The most you would need would be dimples where the setscrews would land.  Dimples and Loctite will be all anyone would ever need.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:48:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Use this one.  It's merely a cut down stock sight base.  The taper pin holes will realign perfectly.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:08:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Russ.  That's the gas block I've used on my last few builds.  I'm just trying to save my FSB in case I need to use it later.

Thanks Mongo.  I thought I needed to mill flats in my barrel.  Think I'll try one of Larues' gas blocks this time, maybe even their 13.2 FF.  

And, though the YHM gas block looks quite sturdy, I don't think it will fit under a DD or LT ff tube.

Thanks for the help.

Jack
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:22:55 AM EDT
[#5]
pdmcghinnis,

I have two LT Low Profile Gas Blocks that were installed without any dimples and neither have moved at all.  The set screws have a sharp cutting surface on the barrel end of the screw and when tightened they dig slightly into the barrel creating their own dimple.  With blue loctite they have stayed put for thousands of rounds.  I am running a 9.0 LT hand guard over the LT gas block on my 16" fluted barrel and a 7.0 LT hand guard over the LT gas block on my 7.5" SBR.  Both look sweet with the gas blocks covered by the railed hand guard.  I don't know of any gas block that will fit under a LT hand guard except theirs.  I have heard there is one other company that makes one low enough but don't knonw who that company is.

MadDog
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:40:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Go to the bottom of this page - link - and check out the LaRue gas block that is:

1.  Loctited in place with sleeve retaining Loctite (green)
2.  Dimpled and setscrewed, the setscrews held with red Loctite
3.  The whole assembly is pinned in place

Cockroaches and this gas block are the only two things surviving nuclear holocaust.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:50:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys for your help.  Looks like a LT gas block is in my immediate future
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top