Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 3:54:14 AM EDT
I want to remove the barrel of my AR to have it threaded so I need a Barrel Wrench. since I live in Italy these tools are impossible to find and I don't want to waste my money. Who sell a good one (dpms,bushmaster,...)?Any opinions?

Also, do I need Headspace Gauges?

Thanks in advance guys
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:30:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I was told by a dealer that there are only a couple manufacturers of armorers wrenches. Each company then places their name on the wrench before selling it to the customer. Don’t know if it’s true or not. I have a DPMS wrench from Del-Ton, and it works just fine.

As far as head space goes, you should not have to check it if your simply pulling the barrel for maintenance.

Do you have an armorers vice block yet? It will also be required for a barrel pull. I have Bushmasters vice block, again, a good quality tool.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:58:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't get the Bushmaster wrench. It has a hammer forged "dimpled" type of finish that is slick to the touch. Which means it slips off the barrel nut when you try to tighten it. I've never been able to use mine with enough force to completely tighten a barrel nut. The DPMS version is much better. I have and still use the "issue" type but I also broke one of the 3 pins which made it unserviceable. The "issue " type work depnding the hardness of the material on the tool is.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:35:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's all you need to remove and install barrels:

www.bushmaster.com
Bushmaster action clamp -- #OM-003 -- $38.95  

www.olyarms.com
Olympic Arms armorer's wrench -- #H28B -- $27

www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=239
Pittsburgh Tools 1/2" Torque Wrench-- #239-3VGA -- $9.99

Also, you'll need some moly lube for the upper receiver's threads, and a set of snap-ring pliers for the handguards snap ring.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:43:37 PM EDT
[#4]
the oly arms wrench wont work if you will be using a service rifle float tube, wont fit over the modified barrel nut.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:49:33 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks guys!
last question: can I use this upper holder when I'll remove the barrel from my A2 upper?
adcofirearms.com/itemdetails.cfm?inventorynumber=3231
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
thanks guys!
last question: can I use this upper holder when I'll remove the barrel from my A2 upper?
adcofirearms.com/itemdetails.cfm?inventorynumber=3231

I used that same item to hold my upper when I installed a LaRue FF rail, but only because my Bushmaster action clamp didn't have the clearance for the LaRue's locking plate. I didn't have any problems, but ADCO does NOT recommend using it for barrel nut torquing.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top