Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2005 1:31:27 PM EDT
Dont know how to do a poll but basically here is my deal...
I figure I wouldnt be able to do assemble the lower much cheaper since I have to include tool costs so Im going ot buy an assembled lower.  All Three lowers Im considering are $220-225 shipped
RRA lower with parts kit and 6 position stock-$225-RRA

Mega M4 lower half w/cmt milspec 6 position $225-Mega
RRA has the biggest reputation and assuming all parts on the RRA(stock parts  kit) are all actually RRA that would be the best deal correct?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I have built five Ar-15s using the Mega lower and have found it to be well made and I recommend it to you.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:16:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I have 2 complete RRA rifles and love their fit and finish. I have also put together several RRA lowers and all have been excellent. I say go with RRA with the price differecne so small. I think RRA has a little better resale value.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#4]
If they are indeed close to the same money, I'd say Rock River. But I'm a little biased since they're only an hour away.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:38:38 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=245739

This is the link to the thread I started on almost the same question.  If someone can make it hot I would appreciate it.  And tell me how while you're at it........

I decided to go with ARFCOM tradition and "Get Both" - RRA and Stag.  

To be perfectly honest, I'll think real hard before buying Stag again.  It may not have really been their fault, but the pistol grip screw hole had the threads cut too tight.  I couldn't screw the pistol grip screw in deep enough, and what I did get was REAL tight.  Had to use oil and a vice to hold the allen wrench so I could actually turn the reciever by hand.  Even so, it wouldn't go in all the way, and if I had kept turning it I may have ended up breaking off the screw inside the reciever.  

My Dad took a look at it and his feeling was they used a very worn tap to cut the threads.  He happened to have a tap in the right diameter and thread and recut them for me.  After that there were no problems.  I was using an Olympic lower parts kit.  

Otherwise, the quality and finish were indistinguishable between the Stag and the Rock River.  The lower parts build wasn't too bad - very doable - and I have the mechanical ability of a hyper 5 year old with ADD who's doing the pee pee dance.  For tools you only really need a light hammer and a 1/8 and 1/32 punch for the roll pins.  A vice was helpful, and so were vice grips - but I don't think they're a must.  I also used a very small screwdriver - like from an eyeglasses repair kit - to get the front takedown pin with spring and detent in.  

I would recommend Eaglefirearms.net.  They really were great to deal with.  And very low cost.  

Either way, Good Luck!

-K
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=245739

This is the link to the thread I started on almost the same question.  If someone can make it hot I would appreciate it.  And tell me how while you're at it........

Copy the url, click on the little "world" below the reply body, enter what you want to show up in the text (i.e. "CLICK HERE" or "LINK"), hit submit, paste url into the next space, hit enter and you made a hot link.

CLICK HERE

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I personally like the mega lowers just becuase they look cool but I saw a thread were the grip didnt fit right and that kind of spooks me.  RRA is way up there in my book so it would be hard to beat as far as name brand and since its so close to the other prices it seems like a good buy.  Stag was just recommended although I think the deer is a little wierd.  Anyways narrowed it down to 2
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You can't go wrong with any of them.  These 3 are probably the best in terms of quality of the stripped lower.  Out of the 3, I recommend the Stag especially if he is using the STAG LPK & Milspec stock.

I know a great dealer who sells the MEGA complete with STAG 6 position Milspec stock for $225 shipped.  

You were the one I was looking for when I did the search.  Changed the link to your page

Those mega upper and lower combos are good looking together.  Do you have good luck with them?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:42:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You can't go wrong with any of them.  These 3 are probably the best in terms of quality of the stripped lower.  Out of the 3, I recommend the Stag especially if he is using the STAG LPK & Milspec stock.

I know a great dealer who sells the MEGA complete with STAG 6 position Milspec stock for $225 shipped.  

You were the one I was looking for when I did the search.  Changed the link to your page

Those mega upper and lower combos are good looking together.  Do you have good luck with them?

I really like MEGA stuff.  Many of the WA residents and others who are familiar with MEGA quality can tell you that they make a nice product.  The uppers are built using Sabre defense Mil-B-11595 Vanadium Alloy barrels which are very high quality.  I could have saved $40 or so and went with a ER Shaw but opted not too.

If you don't want a Teflon finish, I really like RRA or LCW.  I really like the Teflon finish myself.  It's really easy to keep clean and wears much better.

+1

Mega does an excellent job on their machine work and attention to detail.  I will be using them again on future builds.  They are high quality and inexpensive.  That is a combination that is hard to beat.  RRA is also high quality.  I have one of their midlength uppers on my Mega lower and have been extremely impressed with how nicely the whole package shoots.
Until I lost it in that tragic boating accident
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:55:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Is the finish on a RRA and Mega the same? In terms of color? Thats my biggest worry is getting the top and bottom to match up.  I like the MEGA uppers that say MEGA on the sides also so I would probably do the whole package.(although not at one time since the g/f would kill me)
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:57:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I found the color match to be very good.  The teflon finish gives the lower a slightly different surface texture (I have to look hard to see the difference) but the color is spot on.  With variations in the annodizing process even factory assembled rifles can have slight differences from time to time.  Considering that these pieces were from two completely different manufacturers I am pleased with how well they match.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#13]
for fit finish, I would go will the RRA
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:55:44 AM EDT
[#14]
what about the mags being a tight fit?  I have heard a few compaints about them fitting tight? Also something about 2 stage triggers rubbing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#15]
All would be good choices, I would go with Stag ( The Deer don't bother me ) or Mega.

On the LPK and Stock, I would go with Stag/CMT.

My .02 cents.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:18:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I have built 5 ARs using RRA lowers I had not one problem with any of them
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok ok last question...
Which would be cheaper to finish?  I mean I would like to keep brands same as far as the upper so a RRA would run me more than a mega? Say for a A4/m4 upper?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#18]
If you want everything matching, just be a lemming and get a RRA. Everyone has them, and everyone is happy.

I'll stick with Megas, I've played with both and I still feel the Megas are nicer.  I'll also add that the CMT mil spec stock is better than the RRA, which would be another thing to consider, and I didn't see that mentioned yet.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If you want everything matching, just be a lemming and get a RRA. Everyone has them, and everyone is happy.

I'll stick with Megas, I've played with both and I still feel the Megas are nicer.  I'll also add that the CMT mil spec stock is better than the RRA, which would be another thing to consider, and I didn't see that mentioned yet.

Tec..whatever said that his do have the milspec stock.  stickman do you or have you had any problems with mags not fitting/tight or aftermarket triggers not fitting? I prob wouldnt do anything wit the trigger so thats out but I want something that I can feed just about anything and have it function.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#20]
The tight mag well issue has been fixed.  I've had absolutely no problems with USGI mags dropping free.  In a recent outing we used D&H and NHMTG mags.  Both ran perfectly.  

Haven't heard anything about two stage trigger issues.  I've never been compelled to need a two stage trigger especially for a defensive carbine.  In this same outing I was able to shoot my RRA/Mega midlength with a single stage RRA trigger back to back with a friends DPMS M4 with an adjustable two stage trigger.  To tell the truth I had a hard time feeling much of a difference.

Ok ok last question...
Which would be cheaper to finish? I mean I would like to keep brands same as far as the upper so a RRA would run me more than a mega? Say for a A4/m4 upper?

If you're talking about assembled uppers it's hard to make an apples to apples judgement.  RRA offers a large number of assembled uppers.  By comparison there are only a few who offer a complete Mega upper.  Teknic is one.  Using his upper as a comparison here would be some of the differences:

Mega (from Teknic)
Flat top upper
Rifle extension
Sabre Defence Chrome Vanadium Barrel (supposedly comparable or even slightly better than 4150 chrome moly)

RRA-
Flat top upper
Cut feed ramps.  Not true M4 but cut in after assembly.
Wilson 4140 chrome moly barrel

Prices will be very close.  Using either of these uppers, I would say you'd probably be within $20 of eachother.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:03:30 PM EDT
[#21]
FWIW I purchased a complete MEGA lower over a year ago. Great finish, fit, and function with my RRA upper. I paid 149$ for it (no buttstock). I have been planning on getting a couple stripped mega lower. But I keep having to sink money in my Camaro.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:26:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Dammit I wish there was s sign or something.  Alright Im going to make my decision based off the above and post up when I get it.  Suprise until then . Thanks everyone for the input
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top