Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/5/2005 1:12:48 PM EDT
I just ordered a new upper reciever from Rock River.  I decided to buy a new lower to go with it instead of putting it on an already exixting lower.  Now I have to decide which lower to put it on.  I have an Olympic Internal Parts Kit to go with it.  

Which lower would you all recommend?  Rock River, Olympic, or DPMS?

So which would y'all recommend?  Will I be better off getting an Oly because thats who made the internal parts kit I will be using?  Or should I go with the Rock River because thats what the upper will be?  Or does it not matter at all and I should consider the DPMS?  I already have an Olympic and have been very happy with it.

So what do y'all think?  

As you can see, I really don't have any experience with this, and any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Also:  Just how hard is it to put together a lower?

-K
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the RRA lower, and sell the Oly parts kit. Use that money toward buying better parts.

Be well!

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Out of your choices, I would get the Rock River (even if it were not on your list I would recomend RRA). I now generally build all RRA, never had any issues, good quality. Not one of your choices but, another consideration would be Stag Arms, with a CMT upper. Nothing against the other major AR's, they are all good- just a little more expensive.  FWIW I also own a Colt going on 8k rounds and never even had a miss feed, or a failure.
Mb
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Good stuff, Maynerd.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I have built several ARs up using Rock River Arms lowers. Been very happy with the fit finish and $$ I had to pay for them. Have never ran in to trouble putting RRA lower parts kits in to them.

Plus 1 on going with RRA
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Stag Arms

www.eaglefirearms.net/stag_arms.htm

+1. There are a plethora of inexpensive, high quality lowers available now. I bought an Ameetec lower for my 9mm AR build and it's better than either my PWA or Oly Arms lower. I plan on getting (2) more Ameetecs to replace the PWA and Oly Arms lowers. I've read plenty of good reports on Stag lowers as well. Some of the lesser known brand lowers can be had for $85.

If the name on the side matters to you, then you will of course pay more for it though you won't be getting a higher quality lower in almost any case.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:10:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I used a Stag for my last build and plan to do the same on the next.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:15:04 PM EDT
[#8]
stag
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:17:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Stag.

Danny

P.S. I ordered 11 of them last year and built 10 of them. I have 3, good stuff.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:38:29 PM EDT
[#10]
RRA.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#11]
LAR
CMMG
Fulton Armory
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I used a Stag for my last build and plan to do the same on the next.

+1
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Stag
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:53:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the RRA I have, but I like the logo on my lauer better. The fit and finish are the same.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I just put together my first AR using an RRA lower with RRA LPK. Works great so far.

I may consider a Stag for my next build however......mainly due to price.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:19:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the advice!  

So how hard is it to put together a lower kit?

Anyone else, feel free to chime in!

-K
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:12:27 AM EDT
[#17]
SOCOM Diamond series
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:37:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the advice!  

So how hard is it to put together a lower kit?

Anyone else, feel free to chime in!

-K

I voted other as in whichever is cheapest and most available.  I angonized over which brand my first build, and my Stag ended up being one of the nicest looking and also the cheapest.  RRA were outrageous whenever I'd find them.  As others have said, I'd go stag again.

The Lower Parts Kit is easy.  I'd recommend getting a tool for the detente pins, though.  That was the only hard part for me.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:42:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Mega, I bought one right after my Bushmaster and it's every bit it's equal.  The bushy cost me $180 the Mega cost $100.   I'll be buying Mega's from now on.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:03:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Another vote for Mega.  Built using a Bravo Co. upper, and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.  Also, Carrico'z was great to deal with.

www.carricozarmory.com/

The Atomic Emblem is quite nice as well.  Very Fallout-inspired.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:34:33 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a DPMS lower build and it works great.
Also look into Ameetec they are very nice also
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:49:24 AM EDT
[#22]
MEGA, $89 shipped from Carricoz; I believe Mega also makes the Stinger, just a different logo. I've built on Bushmaster and Oly, and owned Colt and Armalite, and the Mega has them all beat in quality IMO. But it doesn't really matter which you go with as long as it is in spec, and the parts in your lower parts kit are in spec, it just depends on what picture you want on the side of it, a snake, deer, pony, atom, etc... It's relatively easy to put one together if you have the proper tools; I strongly suggest you buy  roll pin holders and roll pin punches in 3/32 and 1/8; makes it easier it install the bolt release and triggerguard pins. At least it did for me.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:51:35 AM EDT
[#23]
The lower assy should take you less than 30 to 40 min to put together (for a first build).  Make sure you put masking tape on the sides of your lower to prevent scatches, find a well lit place to work in, and its a snap.
MB
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:37:03 AM EDT
[#24]
RRA
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:46:16 AM EDT
[#25]
bushmaster
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:14:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Honestly, I think all these "What is best?" threads are pretty damn silly. They should be labeling them"What is your favorite?". The way I see it, companies like Colt, Bushmaster, and Rock River Arms did not get to be big name companies by selling everyone a peice of shit made of aluminum. Take Hesse Arms for example, before I found this board, I never heard of the company. And I would not have bought my first AR (which was before I found this board), because they did not have name recognition. I bought Bushmaster, because of name recognition. Same way Ford and Chevy stand for quality through the amount of other people buying them and praising them. But for you guys who have never heard of a Yugo, would you buy a car made by Yugo, (or however it is spelled)? That is the way I look at the situation.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:39:32 AM EDT
[#27]
MY STAG looks and feels just like any other lower from Colt, Bushmaster, RRA, etc

so, I recommend STAG, low prices, high quality.

STAG Lowers $87 Shipped

I used these people, they got great customer support.

And im pretty sure my lower is a Forged Lower, because ive dropped it a coupla times on concrete, and it didnt even scratch.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:47:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Honestly, I think all these "What is best?" threads are pretty damn silly. They should be labeling them"What is your favorite?".

I agree with that and will add that many will contribute "Which is the cheapest" without actually saying it.

BUT in one of the rare cases defying the "You get what you pay for" rule, the Stag receivers are probably the least expensive receivers out there and, IMO, are higher quality than MEGA, RRA and a few other inexpensive receivers.  I always balked on the Stag receivers because of the silly dear head roll mark, but now that I have a couple and have seen the quality of the receiver, the deer head issue is all but dead for me.  I still prefer Bushmaster and buy them when I find them reasonable, but if I wanted a good quality, inexpensive receiver I can trash around, refinish in some color or whatever, I'd not hesitate to get a Stag or three.

Stag Stripped Receivers - 3 for $240 or $80 each
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:50:21 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Honestly, I think all these "What is best?" threads are pretty damn silly. They should be labeling them"What is your favorite?".

I agree with that and will add that many will contribute "Which is the cheapest" without actually saying it.

BUT in one of the rare cases defying the "You get what you pay for" rule, the Stag receivers are probably the least expensive receivers out there and, IMO, are higher quality than MEGA, RRA and a few other inexpensive receivers.  I always balked on the Stag receivers because of the silly dear head roll mark, but now that I have a couple and have seen the quality of the receiver, the deer head issue is all but dead for me.  I still prefer Bushmaster and buy them when I find them reasonable, but if I wanted a good quality, inexpensive receiver I can trash around, refinish in some color or whatever, I'd not hesitate to get a Stag or three.

Mongo, interested in why you think the Stag is higher in quality to the Mega?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:51:33 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mongo, interested in why you think the Stag is higher in quality to the Mega?

I don't care for the teflon coating.  It's just a personal preference of mine.  I prefer black dyed hard coat anodizing with nothing over it.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:56:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Cool. I was thinking about getting a new receiver specifically to refinish with duracoat or Norrells, and I was a little concerned about doing the Mega because I didn't think it would work over the teflon; now I think I'll get the Stag. Maybe I'll fill in the logo as well and make a "plain jane" receiver while I'm at it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:05:19 AM EDT
[#32]
My Last build was on a LRB Arms Lower $109.00
I like the rollmark they have

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:03:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Suggest a Colt's.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:38:38 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Suggest a Colt's.

Suggest a Colt's....what?

The only reason to get a Colt lower is if every other piece on the rifle is already Colt. A Colt lower does not a Colt rifle make.

Colt lowers cost 2-3X as much as any other lower and all the extra cost is just for the name.

While I can see the value in certain Colt parts, I fail to see how a Colt lower is worth that much more than any other lower.

Please note that the preceding statements are just my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#35]
STAG is made by CMT, they make the RRA receivers. Stag is the same receiver, but at a better price.
Really the best bang for the buck, IMHO. Have yet to talk with someone who is dissatisfied.

around $85 from Eagle, complete Stag lower half w/RRA M4 stock for $219 from lonestarwholesale.com.

I bought two of the Stag lower halves, haven't seen anything that looks better as far as fit and finish, not even my Colt carbine.

ETA you cannot build a complete lower half with new quality parts for less than $219 AFAIK, unless you just want to have the experience of assembling, it's a no brainer.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Suggest a Colt's.

Suggest a Colt's....what?

The only reason to get a Colt lower is if every other piece on the rifle is already Colt. A Colt lower does not a Colt rifle make.

Colt lowers cost 2-3X as much as any other lower and all the extra cost is just for the name.

While I can see the value in certain Colt parts, I fail to see how a Colt lower is worth that much more than any other lower.

Please note that the preceding statements are just my opinion.

+1

Better off buying a Stag lower with Colt small FCG diameter lower parts kit, get similar quality to the Colt complete lower at a better price. Nothing at all wrong with a CMT LPK though.
(Don't get me wrong, I like Colt lowers, but being practical).
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

ETA you cannot build a complete lower half with new quality parts for less than $219 AFAIK, unless you just want to have the experience of assembling, it's a no brainer.

$80-Superior Arms "RESTRICTED CIVILIAN USE ONLY" lower from RB Precision at a local gunshow.
$70-RRA 6pos. stock from RB at the same show.
$50-RRA LPK from Robert too.
$200 and I couldn't be happier

WIZZO

BTW, since I already voted for RRA, I'll give honorable mention to Superior Arms. If you saw the thread about pictograms, you'd know that they are making lowers for the little guy and they're out there looking for ideas from us personally. That, and they let me shoot Superior Arms lower #000001 at a local Blastfest
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$80-Superior Arms "RESTRICTED CIVILIAN USE ONLY" lower from RB Precision at a local gunshow.
$70-RRA 6pos. stock from RB at the same show.
$50-RRA LPK from Robert too.
$200 and I couldn't be happier

WIZZO

BTW, since I already voted for RRA, I'll give honorable mention to Superior Arms. If you saw the thread about pictograms, you'd know that they are making lowers for the little guy and they're out there looking for ideas from us personally. That, and they let me shoot Superior Arms lower #000001 at a local Blastfest

OK, so you can build one cheaper than $219
But for $20, I'll still take it already assembled. Superior seems to be a good receiver too, and they've vastly improved their marking techniques since their first receivers came out. Really a lot of good choices out there. Especially if you shop around.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#39]
I put a Rock River upper on an Ameetec lower

both are top-notch together
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:04:03 PM EDT
[#40]
you should get the Lauer or the DSA lower
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:19:58 AM EDT
[#41]
What's the finish like on the Rock River Upper compared to the other lowers?  Thats one of the reasons I'm leaning towards the Rock River - they will both look the same.  

-K
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:47:44 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
What's the finish like on the Rock River Upper compared to the other lowers?  Thats one of the reasons I'm leaning towards the Rock River - they will both look the same.  

-K

They will all be similar except for the Mega, which has a black teflon finish; however I don't think the difference is anything you can really see; if you look at the picture of my M4 I posted it has a CMMG upper on it which I believe is the same as RRA, from a finish perspective anyway.

FWIW if you can find a forged lower for $80 shipped I'd buy that in a heartbeat; and let me know where you find it so I can get one too
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:52:10 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-K

They will all be similar except for the Mega, which has a black teflon finish; however I don't think the difference is anything you can really see; if you look at the picture of my M4 I posted it has a CMMG upper on it which I believe is the same as RRA, from a finish perspective anyway.

FWIW if you can find a forged lower for $80 shipped I'd buy that in a heartbeat; and let me know where you find it so I can get one too

MEGA on the left and Bushmaster on the right.  Up close, the difference is very noticable.

Additionally, Eagle Firearms sells forged Stag lowers, three for $240.  That meets you price requirement, but you have to buy three.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:09:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Mongo, how old is that picture? My mega doesn't have a finish like that.
It's black, but smooth not pebbly looking. Granted it is blacker than your Bushmaster though.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:33:52 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Mongo, how old is that picture? My mega doesn't have a finish like that.
It's black, but smooth not pebbly looking. Granted it is blacker than your Bushmaster though.

About a year old.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:53:04 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How can you say the Stag lower is higher quality than the RRA? They are exactly the same! The only difference is the roll marks

Granted, the Stags are ~$20-$25 cheaper so value wise they are the better deal but I can not and probably never will get past that stupid roll mark so I'll waste the extra $25 on the RRA lowers.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:54:59 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How can you say the Stag lower is higher quality than the RRA? They are exactly the same! The only difference is the roll marks

Granted, the Stags are ~$20-$25 cheaper so value wise they are the better deal but I can not and probably never will get past that stupid roll mark so I'll waste the extra $25 on the RRA lowers.

Just like this:  Stag lower receivers are higher quality that RRA.  It's that simple.

Whoever does the Stags takes more time to clean them up.  If you want a "pretty looking" receiver, the Stag is for you.  I also hear of fewer, if any, tight Stag lowers, like the PITA RRAs.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:14:43 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just like this:  Stag lower receivers are higher quality that RRA.  It's that simple.

Whoever does the Stags takes more time to clean them up.  If you want a "pretty looking" receiver, the Stag is for you.  I also hear of fewer, if any, tight Stag lowers, like the PITA RRAs.  YMMV.

Bet you get flamed for that
I agree BTW. It seems like RRA has better marketing, the name sounds good, the logo, etc. Seems people don't like Stag because of the logo/name, lack of name recognition and recommend RRA out of hand though the products are virtually identical - or Stag finished better as you stated. Can even get MPI Stag bolts, now, something RRA does not offer AFAIK. Pretty typical trends in a competitive consumer market I suppose. I will get flamed for saying that. Just my take, everyone will get what pleases them and of course that's as it should be.

ETA - RRA does offer many more options, I'll grant that.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:06:35 AM EDT
[#49]
i got a lauer / LMT one, i think its cool because not all that many are using them.
and the roll mark is cool.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:21:03 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where are you coming up with that BS from? Last time this came up you claimed you never owned an RRA lower but now you are somehow claiming that Stags are cleaned up better then RRA's??? Come on Mongo, I expect better from you.

RRA and Stag lowers are both made by CMT to the same specs and finish quality, including the rear takedown area. Do a search and you will find that some people have had the same issue with Stag's in the rear take down area as some have had with RRA.

The fact of the matter is, CMT is not consistent with their milling of that area. CJan had a very good example of this, two RRA lowers with very close serial numbers (consecutive?) that when their width at the rear take down area was measured, did not match. That's why some people with RRA\Stag lowers seem to have issues and some don't.

I will repeat, the only difference between RRA and Stag lowers is the roll mark. To think (or claim) other wise is just flat out wrong. There is no "YMMV" about it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top