Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2005 6:13:42 PM EDT
OK guys and gals this has probably been hashed out over and over but here goes. I purchased a new Colt lower. I did my little dance for uncle sam and after 6 months received my $200.00 tax stamp for a SBR. I now want to buy a 10 inch upper. Now is where the question comes in. Do I or do I not have to engrave the lower with my name? I have read several posts that say I do, but when I read the law my interpitation is that it does not pertain to assembling a SBR. Only if I was manufacturing a lower.

Can someone please set me straight?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#1]
You are a maker, by submitting your form 1 your "Making" a SBR,  Colt made the lower, you made a SBR,  So legally you must mark you name on it......Udog
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Then under 4 - H where it asks "additional description include all numbers and other identifying data which will appear on the firearm" I should have put my name and city? If I alter it now my Form 1 will not be correct?????
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#3]
4-H only refers to the original manufactor, who was colt.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#4]
You will have to mark it with your name and city, state.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:54:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought we had this discussion before -- and it was decided that having to mark a SBR (as described by radshooter) was not required!?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#6]
This is in the AR15.com SBR FAQ.

"Abbreviated Name and location. 1/16" high and .003 " deep.
ex.
J. Smith
Akron, OH

or

J. Smith
NYC, NY"
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:33:55 PM EDT
[#7]

This is in the AR15.com SBR FAQ.

"Abbreviated Name and location. 1/16" high and .003 " deep.
ex.
J. Smith
Akron, OH

or

J. Smith
NYC, NY"

BIG +1
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:38:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I really appreciate all of your information, but before I mark my lower I am going to try to do some more research. If I can get an answer from BATF I will let everyone know.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:42:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Very well.

I have 3 SBR'd rifles and all are marked.....it's the law..period.

If you were to buy a SBR from say Vector Arms that is already a SBR...then you only have to do a transfer..same $200, slightly different form. You then do NOT have to add your name because you are not considered one of the manufacturers.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Very well.

I have 3 SBR'd rifles and all are marked.....it's the law..period.

If you were to buy a SBR from say Vector Arms that is already a SBR...then you only have to do a transfer..same $200, slightly different form. You then do NOT have to add your name because you are not considered one of the manufacturers.

Sorry if this sounds stupid.

after you have it marked, what happens if you move?

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#11]
You need to let the ATF know. I think there is a special form to fill.....I don't know 100% on that one, but I am going to look now.....

Click here......way too much info, but some good stuff
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
After you have it marked, what happens if you move?

As far as the engraving goes, nothing. You just leave it like it is, as that is where you lived when you originally made it.

Now for the BATF side of things. If you move in-state, you don't need to do anything. If you move out-of-state, you need to send the BATF a copy of a Form 5320.20.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:58:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the info and the link.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:26:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey, thanks for asking a question I had been wondering about. The military moves me ALL the TIME so I was worried about the engraving bit.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top