Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 3:50:03 PM EDT
I was looking at a  .pdf of the old Marine Corp. M16 rifle/tech manual.  It showed only using a barrel vise (and mil-spec barrel wrench) for attaching the barrel to the upper receiver, no action block or anything around the receiver.  Is this a bad way to assemble an upper?  It would be convenient to use one for both the receiver and flash suppressor.  Why is this a bad idea?  

EDIT: I have an older mil-spec barrel wrench that requires a 1/2 breaker bar or torque wrench (have 2 of those) to use.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#1]
It can be done. You have to remember, when those manuals were written the modern armorers blocks probably did not exist. I prefer the armorers block and a good after market armorers wrench.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:55:23 PM EDT
[#2]
You need both.  You can barrel with barrel vise jaws, but you run a pretty good chance of ending up with a canted front sight base.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#3]

It would be convenient to use one for both the receiver and flash suppressor.  Why is this a bad idea?

This is my home made FAL barrel vise.  Those wood blocks are two pieces of oak pallet that I cut a channel in and used to barrel many FALs.  

I've also used them in a regular vise to torque AR flash suppressors.  Dust the channel with a little rosin (available at Big 5 for use on baseball bats) to prevent the barrel from spinning in the blocks when clamping and torquing the barrel.

Found a pic with a barrel in a vise:

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, I am sure this sounds pretty newb, but wouldn't it be better to use the action block / armorer's wrench for the barrel nut to upper receiver interface, and the barrel vise / whatever wrench for the FH to barrel interface?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
OK, I am sure this sounds pretty newb, but wouldn't it be better to use the action block / armorer's wrench for the barrel nut to upper receiver interface, and the barrel vise / whatever wrench for the FH to barrel interface?

ding ding ding ding..... You win!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the info.  I'll get both.  

I don't want to chance a canted front sight with a free float tube install.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:36:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

ding ding ding ding..... You win!

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top