Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2005 8:25:43 PM EDT
I am looking at Brownells catalog and looking at Smith Enterprise wrench and DPMS wrench is the Smith better?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#1]
General consensus says Yes.

I have the DPMS wrench and like it and it works well.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:28:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I have this one  
the photo is from Bushmaster but I got mine from fulton armory on sale for around $23.

I really like it so far except for the fact the buttplade screwdriver blade doesnt fit my buttplate screws.  

does anyone know who makes this wrench BTW?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:07:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I really like my DPMS wrench.
I am not too keen on the hook on the end of the wrench in the photo above
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:31:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I ordered a DPMS wrench from Eagle Firearms last week. Should probably be here on Monday.  I'll let you know how I like it but from looking around, DPMS seemed like a good choice.  It was about $30.  GS
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#5]
The reason I was asking because I have seen some where in the past that DMPS Wrench was not up to Specs. That some one had a problem with one.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#6]
After snapping a pin off my DPMS wrench I got one from Smith Enterprises. It has 3 pins for the barel nut for a float tube and is very well built.

http://www.smithenterprise.com/images/1100%20L%201034%20Armorers%20Wrench.jpg
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:03:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I own the DPMS, and it has worked fine so far. Can't comment on the Smith Enterprise model, but they have an excellent reputation for making high quality products, as well as a polished reputation for their gunsmithing and gun building.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#8]
What I meant to say that I heard that the DPMS is Out of SPEC.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not sure what you mean by out of spec. Mine fit tight on the barrel nut and worked like it was supposed to.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#10]
That is what I have read in the past on AR15.COM some where.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:37:39 AM EDT
[#11]
And the S.E. has USMC on it; woo hoo!  Did multiple internet searches for the S.E. wrench with limited results(Google, Dogpile, Yahoo); my web-fu is not very strong.  Originally tried to place an order and buy mine from Broderman Sports, for several weeks, but they don't answer the phone, emails, or return your call.  Wish I had a Brownell's catalog at the time and saved a little money by going with them.  Instead ordered from S.E., paid premium price and $10 s&h.  But it works very well.
Bushy charges $10 s&h for their orders also.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#12]
My DMPS has worked fine, although I prefer the Yankee Hill one...that's the one I use the most, since all but 2 of my ARs have float tubes.  

But, I had to use the DPMS one on my DPMS .308 barrel nut this weekend...go figure hehe.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:47:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I  think I should of just got a GI barrel wrench because I prefer to use the 3 prongs for the barrel nut.  The only thing that the wrench offers to me is a butstock driver that doesnt fit The prongs with a torque wrench make the job a piece of cake (yes, I know the torque wrench isnt necessary, but I feel more comfortable using it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#14]
DPMS works fine for me

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:55:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What I meant to say that I heard that the DPMS is Out of SPEC.

You are partially correct. DPMS did have a run of multi wrenches that were out of spec in the spacing dimension of the pins. I know because I got one of them. I called DPMS about it and talked with an engineer about it. I just removed some material from the outsides of the pins to make it fit  the FF nut. Works fine for assembly but haven't tried it for disassembly yet. I got it last year in Aug. I believe so the bad ones are probably mostly out of the mainstream by now.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top