Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2005 10:50:26 PM EDT
I fell into a deal for a Bushy HBAR upper, and the local machine shop guy doesn't have a parkerizing setup.  If I plan on Duracoating for color in the future, is it acceptable to start with a bare metal surface?  If the interval between machining and finishing grows, I'll rattlecan it to prevent any surface rust.

I'm inclined to think it won't be a problem, but it never hurts to ask.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:50:59 AM EDT
[#1]
if it can be roughed up by blasting or sanding first, great. Duracoat will go over smooth metal just fine, though, too- I'm actually going to clearcoat a freshly nickeled revolver later this week.

Parked stuff just happens to "soak up" the product a bit better than the raw stuff- the end result looks better, but you should be ok if it isn't. I'ver been tempted to try it over some of the cold-galvanizing spray that praxair sells- its like parkerizing in a spray can-basically zinc particualte in an epoxy base.

Duracoat is really hard to screw up.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:44:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Do not blast the upper receiver!!

Duracoat will adhear just fine to anodizing and you would be doing damage by blasting it.  I would also not blast the barrel.  Degrease and Duracoat.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:21:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:50:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Duracoat over park or anodize.
It will not stick well on "white" metal

Yep.  An anodized or park'd surface is rough and porous.  Those finishes suck up coating materials and make it adhere better.  They are one of the best, if not the best, external finishes to spray coatings on.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:23:43 PM EDT
[#5]
What is recommended for a s/s bbl.?  It has a matte finish btw.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What is recommended for a s/s bbl.?  It has a matte finish btw.

I have Duracoated SS barrels and they need to be blasted to give the metal some "tooth".  You say it has a "matte finish".  If you can feel the "tooth" on the barrel, all you should need to do is the proper prep work and coat it.  If you have doubts about the texture (it seems like it might be to smooth), your best bet is to get it blasted.

Hope this helps.

Brian
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:06:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top