Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2005 12:48:02 PM EDT
Hi all!

I just ordered a 14.5 Colt barrel from Eagle Firearms.

I want to blind pin a Phantom onto it when it arrives for a project.

I have drill press, vice and small mig welder.

I've searched just about every string of words for info on this and came up with nothing.

What size and type of pins are being used? I've got regular roll pins in several small sizes.

How deep to go into the barrel to make non - removable for sure. What about finishing the spot weld?

Advice, links and pics (if you have them) are welcome and deeply appreciated.

TIA

Danny
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Come on hive mind, help a brother do it right the first time.

Just some different ideas, something.

Danny
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Bushmaster barrel here with 2 pins,  they were maybe 1/16 solid steel pin, and drilled maybe a couple  32's deep into the threaded area, to the pin would effectively lock the barrel and device together (sorta like a lock cylinder-tumbler).   leave the pin a little below the surface, and weld the hole shut, if you hit it right, you can "bead" the pin-hole and device all together as one.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:29:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Bushmaster barrel here with 2 pins,  they were maybe 1/16 solid steel pin, and drilled maybe a couple  32's deep into the threaded area, to the pin would effectively lock the barrel and device together (sorta like a lock cylinder-tumbler).   leave the pin a little below the surface, and weld the hole shut, if you hit it right, you can "bead" the pin-hole and device all together as one.

2 pins, I never thought of that.

I want to be sure and make it so some strong ATF agent can't get it off without breaking something up seriously.

Plus, it's a Colt 14.5" barrel I have on the way from Eagle Firearms.

Thanks much!

Danny
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I DID IT!

Just finished, test fired and all. I'll upload pics in awhile.

Danny
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I want to see it!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok here we go.

Got Phantom lined up on barrel, in place with crush washer and marked Phantom. Drilled 3/32" hole and countersank start of hole. Measured and drilled into barrel (Go SLOW HERE, very easy to drill into bore), measured and cut 3/32" roll pin to length and installed. Pin stopped just below surface of Phantom, bottom of countersank area.

Next, up to the shop for the Mig Welder to spot and fill the countersank hole up permanently.

Next to file down the spot weld and apply some type of finish. Just a rough in for now cauze I want to shoot the thing today.

Then, mount barrel to new CMT upper (with feed ramp cuts) assemble all parts etc.

Notes: I did the drilling with a cordless hand drill. It would be very easy to mess up a barrel. And thank God I can weld.

The Colt 14.5" M-4 barrel came from Eagle Firearms and is advertised as "Like New", Looked New to me. Not a scratch or blemish on it, very nice.

CMT flat top upper from Denny, has M-4 feedramps to match barrrel extension.

Goes to show it can be done by the average Joe who is somewhat mechanically inclined.

This is something that you should not attempt in a hurry, or if easily distracted IMO.

YMMV, IMO, IMHO, HTH.

Danny

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Good thread! Good pics!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Great work Danny!

Now I know who will be perm. attaching all my Phantoms in the future
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Guys!

M4arc, bring em on.

Danny
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Easy, huh??  All you need is the proper tools and the willingness to do it.  If you had a TIG welder and skill, you can weld over that pin with very little to no cleanup.  I was practicing on pipes at work and got it down to a science.  Too bad I don't have a TIG at home....................................yet.

Good job.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:27:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Easy, huh??  All you need is the proper tools and the willingness to do it.  If you had a TIG welder and skill, you can weld over that pin with very little to no cleanup.  I was practicing on pipes at work and got it down to a science.  Too bad I don't have a TIG at home....................................yet.

Good job.

Mongo, that means allot to me coming from you, honestly.

I have to admit, I have never used a Tig welder...or seen one in use. Sounds like a winner though.

I've been messing with the new upper and have changed things around again.

I now have a spare upper and we all know what that means, right?

Seriously I don't know what to do with the old 16" upper.

Specs:

LMT upper Rec. with ramps

Colt MT6400C barrel, had threaded.  Have F-FSB, just haven't installed. (I'm not trying that).

Colt Bolt and shaved carrier

I guess I'll be in the market for another lower (#11).

Danny
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Uh, get it a new lower?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh, get it a new lower?

Excellent suggestion, in the planning stages right now.

I may sell the barrel and do something SPRish.

Danny
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice Job.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:45:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:28:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks all!

I guess I did alright for a flunky.

Danny
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Good work on that barrel.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:01:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Good job.

No TIG? Haha! I own a tool Mongo doesen't... yet... *does the happy dance*

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top