Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2005 1:41:09 PM EDT
I was reading through SGN and found sarcos add.  They are advertising vietnam era m16 complete uppers without the foward assist.  I am thinking about ordering one, just wondering if anyone has got one and what the quality of the parts are, especially the bores.  They are advertised under the heading "And the beat goes on"  Its 425 for everything but stripped lower.  I was also wondering if theese first style rifles will mount to modern lower, like a stag or rra.  Any info well appreciated.  They also have ar15 kits on the next page with an a1 barrel and handgaurds, and a2 upper complete for 386.   If anyone has used sarcos kits let me know as i am seriously thinking of ordering one or both.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 2:29:26 PM EDT
[#1]
There are a lot of people who have bought them, if you don't get the info you are looking for, try a search.  Its been talked about quite a few times.

Most people have been very happy, but were happier when they were cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Ya, I just tried to search, but only come up with my post.  So theese are good quality?  I guess im wondering if it will be compaitable with the not era correct recievers, like a new Stag or RRA.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 4:06:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, you would have no problems slapping one of them on a Stag, RRA, Mega or other type lower.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 6:53:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought one from a guy advertising in EE last Jan/Feb. Mine looked absolutely brand spanking new. Even the furniture. And the first time I took it out we had the barrel smoking the oil off it.

But I have no idea if the kits Sarco is selling is in as good a shape or if they are selling "well used" kits.

But some of the guys around here have bought the Sarco kits.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought the barreled upper ($275)and another barrel($175).
The barrels were good, I scrubbed for several days, letting CLP soak between scrubbings, and finally got the last little bit of fowling out, now they look like new. The upper had a few small scratches. Barrels were marked "FN", upper was not marked (not COLT). In retrospect I could easly find the same thung here on the EE for the same price or less. I allready had the furiture so I didn't want the whole kit, but keep in mind others who have ordered the $425 kit said quite a few parts were just after market  junk. I've heard bad things about Sarco, but my dealings were Okay. I've heard that their LPKs pretty much suck.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Last year quite a few surplus Air Force parts were released.  The main thing floating around are barreled uppers, buttstocks, grips, and fire control parts.  If you buy a M16 kit from SARCO those are the only original parts you are going to get.  Seems most of the kits SARCO has are rebuilds.

Colt's was the only manufacturer of the M16 for the US Air Force, so chances are you will get Colt's parts.  Colt's Air Force M16 uppers for the most part (if not all) do not have forge codes on them.  Some parts were purchased later by other sources, like FN for barrels.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Note that many of the non-forward-assist uppers were constructed before enough subcontractors got involved that it was deemed desirable to have forge marks on the uppers. If it's a slick-side upper without forge marks, it's a Colt. Don't be fooled.

When in doubt, ask Ekie. www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=241681
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#8]
The problem with SARCO is, and has always been, that you don't know what you're going to get until you open the box.  One guy gets essentially a brand new set, while the next gets a semi beat up bunch of junk---and all for the same price.

Which is why  I don't buy anything from SARCO unless it's something I just can't find anyehere else. And let's face it, you can find a bunch of milsurp M16 and M16A1 stuff out there these days; including right here on the Equipment Exchange section of this site.

Once bought a Galil gas piston from them, and got a brand new piece; so when a guy over on the Valmet/Galil site asked about getting one, I shared my experience.  He e mailed me a couple of weeks later and told me they'd shipped him a beat up, ususable piston that was in worse shape than the one he was trying to replace.

Yes, I still take my heart in my mouth and order the occasional item that I can't find anywhere else from them, but I learned not to either recommend nor naysay anything from them, 'cause what I got is unlikely to be duplicated on anyone else's order.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#9]
The only other thing I see out there is CDDN sp1 uppers, but they have foward assist, and cost the same but dont have bolt carrier assy or charging handle, my guess 150 bucks more.  I was wanting to put together a relic of sorts, but with a cheap modern reciever.  I might go for the 275 upper without bolt carrier/handle and buy those seperate, or are they different too?  I want the old upper look, without the hassle of finding a new "old style" reciever, but I dont mind that its not "origional looking."  It would be close enough to impress me and my friends, and I prob wouldnt ever sell it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want to make a slick-side look authentically early-Nam, and you don't mind spending a few more dollars to do so, WA-Tom at Total Silence, Inc. has the chrome non-forward-assist bolt carrier groups and the wedge-headed charging handles. I got some for my 604gery, and they're cool. Check out his page in the Industry Forum. (I just hope my freaking barrel shows up soon so I can stick all the pieces together so they don't get lost!)
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:16:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't think i'd order a kit from them because their price is too high for surplus parts. but i know for a fact that all the small parts i've ordered this month have been brand new except 1 charging handle which was the right one for my SP-1 build. prices are are not too bad but phone is impossableand e-mail sucks. you have to use usps after getting parts numbers and price from web sight. www.sarcoinc.com
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:44:06 AM EDT
[#12]
The trick to dealing with Sarco is catch them at Knob Creek or make the trip to Jersey and dig the bins yourself. You may have to go deep, but you often find what you need. I got a perfect wide-spur checkere 1911 hammer out of the bottom of the box once. Never dealt with them on AR stuff.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#13]
did you search for sarco?  i saw another thread just last night here...
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top