Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2004 3:59:49 AM EDT
I will be getting my stripped lower next week. When I assemble it should I use lube and what should I use lube on?

I hear people talking about moly lube. What is it and where can I get it?

Thanks!!

Gary
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:42:01 AM EDT
[#1]
There has been endless debate about what is OK to use on the barrel threads. I bought some of this. Moly-Slide, it has NO graphite and 60% moly by weight. The one ounce jar will last a long time. This is the exact same stuff for sale by Bushmaster.

EDIT: note to self:I need to improve my reading skills.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:54:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Your stripped lower will be anodized aluminum, no lube needed.  The parts that go into that lower will be steel with some sort of black finish, put a coat of oil on them.

Moly lube is necessary on the barrel nut.  Some think it's necessary on the bufer tube, it's not.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#3]
My upper is fully assembled so I won't have to worry about the barrel nut.

What should I use to oil the slide and the action itself before I shoot it? Is regular gun oil okay?

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I prep it with CLP.. let the parts soak and then wipe off. You can find lots of info in the Maintenance forum here.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:19:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Most folks here prefer FP-10(what I use and recommend) or Breakfree CLP.    Most folks warn against using Remoil and Militec.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:48:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everyone for the info.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top