Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 1:33:50 PM EDT
Anyone that has suggestions on a surface treatment available that more or less replicates the old m16a1 greyish finish?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:48:30 PM EDT
[#1]
www.molyresin.com

From Norrell's site:

"GRAYISH-BLACK Flat
Dark gray-black coloration with a flat appearance. This duplicates the appearance of the early original Colt AR-15/M-16 finish. This is the same product that is purchased from us by the U.S. Military to refinish Colt M-16's."

This stuff is easy to apply.  Just follow directions.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#2]
You beat me to it....  The exact same quote from thier site and everything!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Stick, been sprayin' and bakin' for a few days... done some great looking finishes.  Thanks for turning me on to how easy this is.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#4]
A_Free_Man,

I'm here to help, I honestly think it is something a LOT of people would be doing if they tried it once and saw how easy it really is.

Here is a picture of an AR15 I did using the greyish black for teh receivers and carry handle... It isn't the greatest picture, but I think it shows the color variation between the black parts and the greyish black (colt color) parts.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:58:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everybody, Moly Resin looks nice, I ve tried various spray colours before, but none of them gave a really good finish except for GunKote, but I it would be interestting trying something different now.
Now I just have to find someone who sells it and ships outside the 48 continental states.
Nice gun bytw, Stickman.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:20:29 AM EDT
[#6]
What would you use to touch up a scratch on an ar-15, the color is black.  Products??
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:46:25 AM EDT
[#7]
To touch up a scratch, use Birchwood Casey's Aluminum Black.  

Degrease the spot by wiping it with some lacquer thinner.  Dip a cotton swab in the Aluminum Black and rub on the scratch.  Keep rubbing which wipes away some of the reacted chemical and lets fresh chemical contact the surface.  In under a minute it will be black.  Wipe off the remaining chemical with a water dampened paper towel.  Then wipe the surface with an oily cloth.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:48:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Burt, find Stickman's thread "Refinishing" in the Build it yourself area.  He has step by step on how to use Norrell's.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top