Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2004 12:44:48 PM EDT
Does it matter which way the teeth face?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:49:49 PM EDT
[#1]
mine are faced out or away from the action
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#2]
righty tighty, lefty loosey!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#3]
wow.  talking about the wrong thing and i still got it right!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are talking about the receiver extension (buffer tube) castle nut, the teeth go out so that you can get the wrench on it and the cutouts nearest the receiver are so that you can stake the castle nut in place.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:05:07 PM EDT
[#5]
What he said .^
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you are talking about the receiver extension (buffer tube) castle nut, the teeth go out so that you can get the wrench on it and the cutouts nearest the receiver are so that you can stake the castle nut in place.

Disco!  Thanks.  

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Learn something new everyday.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I looked at it again and I don't think it really matters which way it goes on.  Not doubt it was intended to to go on like Mongo says.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I install mine with the slots facing against the backing plate.  I think it has a more "finished" appearance this way.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:06:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I install mine with the slots facing against the backing plate.  I think it has a more "finished" appearance this way.

If you use the more "appropriate" castle stock wrench.... then it has to go on with the cut-outs facing away from the receiver.....
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:14:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you use the more "appropriate" castle stock wrench.... then it has to go on with the cut-outs facing away from the receiver.....

Now that you mention it, I can't get my wrench off if I put it on backwards.  I just hand-tightened it today.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:17:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That's the way my Bushys, OlY and Eagle came from the factory.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:08:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I like the slots facing in; I've managed to snag threads before, and it's a burden.

Of course, this only works if you have a certain type of wrench, my RRA one wouldn't work.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:52:02 AM EDT
[#14]
slots facing out is the correct way.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:09:49 AM EDT
[#15]
This is the correct wrench for the castle nuts, used properly, the nuts are tight and stay tight (without staking, but staking is what the .mil does) and your castle nut doesn't get damaged in the tightening process.

If you try to put the slots toward the receiver, you will lock the wrench onto the receiver.  Not a bad thing, 'cause now you have an extra handle to control your rifle with.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I use the Extra Heavy Duty Tele-Stock Wrench from The Master, Bushmaster that is.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the way my Bushys, OlY and Eagle came from the factory.

Yep, I suppose this is where I developed my taste for having the slots toward the backing plate.  Back is the "Sad Days", my first factory-assembled Bushmaster M4 had the Fake M4 stock attached with the slots facing toward the plate.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top