Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2004 9:02:12 PM EDT
when i buy my stripped lower, can i make it a rifle or pistol?  do i have to declare when i buy it what it will be?  also do i need a tax stamp to get a pistol kit?

thanks
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:43:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, AR pistol kits are legal now.  So the seller shoudn't give you a bad time.

Now, depending on who you buy the lower from (say online), they may or may not invice it as a pistol.  Some will, some won't.  Doesn't hurt to ask if they will list it as a pistol for you to your transfer FFL.  The transfer FFL has to list on the 4473 "pistol-stripped lower".  That's waht I did for mine.  And of coarse, if your state has any "handgun" rules/forms, follow/fill those out too.

The only requirment for making a pistol, so the word goes, is a receiver/frame that has never had a stock attached to it.  IF it has a stock on it first, then it's a rilfle.  The stripped lowers are recorded as stripped from the factory.

You can make it either.  If it is papered a pistol, you can coverted it to a "rifle" and back to a pistol again.  Just make sure that the short barrel (under 16") IS NOT ON THE LOWER when you attatched the stock.... or you will have a stocked pistol, which is a NO NO w/out the right federal paper work.

Depending on your *insecurity, paranoya*, I suggest having a copy of the 4473, w/ you, IF the dealer will allow you to get a copy.  That way, no one will claim you have a rifle w/ a short barrel.  I plan to get one of those pistol grip plugs from Brownells....and put a copy of my invocie and state paper in there showing it is a pistol.  Just in case (call me paranoid).  W/ the ban just newly expired, some people might assume it is still illegal.  That is just me.  Better safe then sorry.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:09:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Acording to our compliance agent with ATF The only acceptable terms on a 4473 are "Rifle" "Pistol" "Shotgun" "Revolver" or "Receiver Only" (with caliber/gage "none") I don't know where or if it is in GCA or NFA but I have documents from ATF that state a letter from manufacturer stating its virginity or that it has never been assembled or has never had a butstock intalled is REQUIRED.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:18:18 AM EDT
[#3]
In Va. Our state call in will not recognize "receiver Only" You MUST declare rifle or pistol or shotgun or revolver. However records are not kept by the state and they receive no information on the piece other than type, I don't see how they could enforce a violation on the type being wrong. We are trying to get them to recognize Receiver only as they should.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:16:48 AM EDT
[#4]
so when i go buy my stripped lower from ameetec, have them list it as pistol and i can make it either a pistol or rifle?  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
so when i go buy my stripped lower from ameetec, have them list it as pistol and i can make it either a pistol or rifle?  

Yes.

If you state has anything "special" w/ pistols (ie registration), that will have to be done also.....
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:02:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.

If you state has anything "special" w/ pistols (ie registration), that will have to be done also.....

where would i find this out, i live in AZ where the gun laws are really relaxed.  do i just call up my police dept?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:43:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Acording to our compliance agent with ATF The only acceptable terms on a 4473 are "Rifle" "Pistol" "Shotgun" "Revolver" or "Receiver Only" (with caliber/gage "none")

I would not pay a lot of attention to your "inspector."

They forgot suppressor, machinegun, short barreled shotgun, short barreled rifle, Any other weapon...  I have not seen ANY regulations that actually say what to put in the field...

mark
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
when i buy my stripped lower, can i make it a rifle or pistol?  do i have to declare when i buy it what it will be?  also do i need a tax stamp to get a pistol kit?

thanks

If you want it to be a PISTOL you MUST make it into a PISTOL first

That's it...

Once it has been built into a pistol for the first time, it can be 'promoted' to a rifle, and then 'demoted' back to a pistol again without any paperwork

When it is a pistol it cannot have a stock

When it is a rifle it must have a 16" BBL...
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks

If you want it to be a PISTOL you MUST make it into a PISTOL first

That's it...

Once it has been built into a pistol for the first time, it can be 'promoted' to a rifle, and then 'demoted' back to a pistol again without any paperwork

When it is a pistol it cannot have a stock

When it is a rifle it must have a 16" BBL...

how would "they" know if it was a pistol first or not?  is it on the honor system?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top