Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2004 7:50:24 AM EDT
Can I put a 7.62 x 39 upper on a standard lower receiver?  Is there any modifications that must be done for this to work?

Thanks,
Tom
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:52:59 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Can I put a 7.62 x 39 upper on a standard lower receiver? - YES  Is there any modifications that must be done for this to work? - NO

Thanks,
Tom

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:11:40 AM EDT
[#2]
As previously posted the simple answer is yes. However that is assuming you are referring to a "complete" 7.62X39 upper. In addition to the barrel, the bolt for the 7.62 is different. Also, there is a magazine issue you need to be aware of prior to spending the money on an upper. Using 5.56 AR magazines works marginally at best. There are 7.62 ar mags out there most of which only work slightly better than the 5.56 magazines. Having owned, built and shot several 7.62x39 ars, the only magazines I have found which will consistently function properly, especially when loaded to capacity, are the USA "frakenmags." These magazines essentially are the upper portion of an ar mag welded to the bottom half of an ak mag. They are all "preban" and are expensive. Expect to pay $50.00 or more. Perhaps since the ban has expired USA will begin manufacturing these again. There is also a common problem with "hard primers" on surplus and wolf ammo. Low mass ar hammers often have insufficient energy to set off the primers. In addition, if you check the firing pin protrusion on an ak and compare it to the protrusion on a mil spec ar you will find there is significantly greater protrusion on the ak. I have had to remove up to .030 off the tail of the bolt to get consistent ignition of wolf and mil surplus ammo. Having said all this I still enjoy my ars in 7.62x39. But to confuse the issue even more the best solution I have found is the AR47.

DanS
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:02:37 PM EDT
[#3]
can anyone post a photo of a frakenmag and show about where the weld bead is? I would like to make one if they aren't being produced.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Check this link.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100505&highlight=7.62x39+Gtech

Court 223 (aka Court in FL.)
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Dam, I guess you will need to copy and paste the link.  Sorry

Court 223
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:25:43 AM EDT
[#6]

What sort of groups do you typically print with your 7.62x39 uppers with vaious ammo?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:41:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks court223 I will keap this in mind when I build mine.headbang.gif
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#8]
 What sort of groups do you typically print with your 7.62x39 uppers with vaious ammo?    

I have one of the Colt guns and with Chinese steel core ball it shoots about 2  1/2 inches it 100 yards with the old Colt 3 power scope.

Court 223 (aka Court in FL.)
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top