Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2004 10:17:40 PM EDT
Okay, just put in a new jewell trigger, and have some simple questions.  I'm new to the AR, this is my first build.  

Wondering if it is normal to NOT be able to cock the hammer when safety is on?  

I don't think that you can, but is there any way to decrease 1st stage creep in trigger pull.  I would just like to shorten it a bit???
thanks a lot....jon
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:10:43 PM EDT
[#1]

but is there any way to decrease 1st stage creep in trigger pull.

To my understanding the jewell triggers can only be adjusted for 1st/2nd stage pull WEIGHT.  There is no such thing as "creep" in the 1st stage of a 2 stage trigger.  There may be "creep" in the 2nd stage (the stage that breaks the shot) but if you have a jewell... I doubt it has any creep at all in the 2nd stage.  If it does, its not jewell.  If you're talking about the take-up length of the 1st stage... you cannot adjust this.  Just make the pull weight as light as possible on the 1st and to your liking on the 2nd, however it's good to get a second opinion on this as certain shooters may favor other settings.  The trigger you have (if it is a jewell) is probably one of the best target triggers you can buy while maintaining the use of the rifles saftey.  AND, I don't think it is right about the hammer and the saftey.  The saftey cannot be engaged WITHOUT the hammer cocked.  Try and check your installation of the trigger, make sure you have the correct parts in the correct places.  Good luck, keep us posted.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:13:45 AM EDT
[#2]
i double checked the parts install, and they are all in the right spots.  I've built a lot of guns before, but just not any AR's.  
yes i was talking about adjusting take up on the first stage, but it's not bad.  

the safety CAN be engaged with the hammer NOT cocked, but when the safety is ON you cannot cock the hammer.

Also on my safety selector, the hole the pin slides into when you switch it to safe has a piece of metal that the factory didn't remove, so it doesn't stay all the way down in the safe position.  WOndering if I can drill it out, or if i need to buy another one?  I tried to drill a little bit, but that stuff is hard!  

This trigger is amazing, the machine work is really detailed.  It feels really good, but I'm really picky, so I need everything to be just perfect!

thanks again for the info, looking forward to hearing more...thanks Jon
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#3]

the safety CAN be engaged with the hammer NOT cocked, but when the safety is ON you cannot cock the hammer.

Okay, this i'm not too sure about.  On my Colt, I cannot engage the saftey WITHOUT first cocking the hammer back.   I don't know, it doesn't sound right to me.  Might be different for other AR's though.  Anyone want to add feedback on this????

This trigger is amazing, the machine work is really detailed. It feels really good, but I'm really picky, so I need everything to be just perfect!

Jon... everything about the trigger IS perfect. Like I said the jewell is probably the best target trigger out.  Very nice.he
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:00:00 AM EDT
[#4]
From what I've read it should not be possible to place the selector on safe without the hammer cocked back.  Mine will go maybe 10 degrees towards safe but no more and then snaps back to fire.  That is with a stock trigger though, I do not know about the custom triggers but for safety's sake I would assume they should work the same.  Considering the problem you're having with the selector (which from your description I am not sure I fully understand) it sounds to me like something is out of spec.  Do you mean that your selector rotates freely when placed on safe or that it will not rotate fully to safe?  If you cannot remedy the problem start a thread in troubleshooting.  You will probably get more attention and some really good responses over there.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:06:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I can change selector to safe when in either cocked or uncocked position.  With that said, if it is ON safe when it is NOT cocked i can't cock it...so, you can't cock it when it is on safe.
hope that makes since,  kind of weird to write
thanks for the info, and if  Idon't find what im looking for, i might head over to troubleshooting..thanks again...jon
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:51:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry I didn't have more info for you.  I wasn't trying to suggest that you were posting in the wrong area of the forum, just that it seems some people here who know these parts inside and out check troubleshooting more often.  I am thinking of getting a Jewell two stage trigger myself so I will check both sections for any updates on your problem.  I hope you get it resolved soon.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#7]
The Jewell Trigger For AR-15 Type Rifles

Supplementary Installation Instructions.

Good info about 1/2 way down here:

http://www.highpowerrifle.com/Jewell.htm
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top