Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2004 6:42:24 PM EDT
Anyone have any experiense with the parts kits from Model 1 sales?  I know DPMS is good, but my search didn't turn up on model1.  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#1]
i heard dpms suplies their parts kits and model1  is one of their biggest customers
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#2]
their parts kits for lowers appear to be very good quality, and function great
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:15:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I have used several of their kits, no problems experienced by me.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:22:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Just say no!!

I have a few builds by them, the lower parts kit and the bolt is the weak point of these kits IMO.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:51:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just say no!!

I have a few builds by them, the lower parts kit and the bolt is the weak point of these kits IMO.

Your going to say they are weak but not say why?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Just installed the Model 1 Sales lower parts set into a RRA lower receiver on 10/03/04. No problems everything fit perfectly, functions fine, happy with their quality and service.  Forgot to order the sling swivel and pin, with my order, they shipped US mail no charge on the delivery of $3.50 worth of parts.  I'm happy and will order from them again.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:20:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I just installes a Model 1 Sales kit in a Rock River Arms Lower and ran into a couple of problems.  The spring for the front take down detent had to be cut.  In the first lower I tried I could not get the front take down pin to seat completely.  I switched to the second lower and made it further in the assembly and found a fit problem with the selector detent.  I used a spare I had on hand with no problems.

The upper had no fit problems.  It function checks fine.  I have to find some ammunition to shoot it now.

Thanks

Mike
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:15:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I just installes a Model 1 Sales kit in a Rock River Arms Lower and ran into a couple of problems.  The spring for the front take down detent had to be cut.  In the first lower I tried I could not get the front take down pin to seat completely.  I switched to the second lower and made it further in the assembly and found a fit problem with the selector detent.  I used a spare I had on hand with no problems.

The upper had no fit problems.  It function checks fine.  I have to find some ammunition to shoot it now.

Thanks

Mike

That's interesting.  I've built 16 of those M-1 kits onto lowers and have never had that problem until this last build a couple of weeks ago.  I ended-up doing the same as you to get it to work in a Bushy lower I was building.  I pulled an old leftover spring out of my parts box and they were identical but there was no way either one was going to work until I cut one.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:21:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Could the hole have had a burr inside preventing the spring from fully inserting?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:34:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Could the hole have had a burr inside preventing the spring from fully inserting?

Not that I could tell (I ran a pick down the hole to try and feel an obstruction) but it had to be that or the hole wasn't to depth and, the fact that it WAS a Factory new Bushy makes me want to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Do a search, I've talked about Model 1's bad point in alot of threads.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Model One sells a good product for a fair price. I have had no problem with them.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:55:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:33:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I just assembled a Model 1 kit.  Also had to cut the pivot pin detent spring a bit.  I also had to cut a flat on the top of the collapsable stock plate.  It interferred with retracting the charging handle.  I ordered the CAR stock wrench from them.  It will not work on their stock.  The wrench needs to have a smaller radius, or the "finger" needs to be longer.  I have built a postban J&T in the past.  Not really much to distinguish one from the other.  Kenny
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I just assembled my fifth or sixth M1S kit.  Similar experience with the spring, but I put together two SARCO kits at the same time and had the same issue.  Rather odd.

Other than that, I've had good experiences with M1S.  If you can't cut a little spring, you might want to reconsider assembling firearms.

dwj
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:29:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Personally I think Model I sucks ass big time.  Just recently bought 16 lite barrel and installed it on bushy upper.  Front post was canted 2-3 degrees to the right!  Turns out the pin holes were incorrectly drilled off bottom center.  Barrel was completly useless.  After returning it back to them got nasty phone call and was told would have to pay 15% restock for returning their defective product!  On another order they charged me double and had to argue with them for 15 minutes before they would finally admit they fucked up!  Will never do business with them asswipes again.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I also had problems with the takedown spring fitting. It seemed too long and it was not catching on anything inside, like a metal burr. I tried an extra RRA spring and it worked perfectly.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:18:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought a Model 1 Sales M4 kit a couple of years ago and had several issues with the kit.
With the lower parts kit, I had problems with parts fitting, while holding back the trigger, I couldnt get the hammer to lock back on the disconnector without more than a typical amount of force. When I did get it to lockback, when I released the trigger, the hammer wouldnt disengage from the disconnector. I ended up using a spare RRA lower kit I had handy and I had no other problems.
The other things were cosmetic. I did not like that the sling swivel was held in place with a roll pin and not a rivet and that it came with an A1 flash suppressor and front sight post. I ordered it out of Shotgun News, I didnt know until I actually got a catolog from them that I was supposed to specify A2 parts. Also, the flat top upper I got with the kit was a real light grey and did not even closely match the RRA lower I was using.
Now, if I'm going for affordable, I just use M&A Parts for slightly more money. I have had zero problems yet. Plus, the color matches RRA very nicely, it comes with A2 things and there is a sling swivel rivit in place.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow. I thought the too-long spring was an anomally! Seems unsettlingly common.

I also had issues with the bolt catch hole being too small or exessively coated.
I was a bit dissapointed that the safety switch didn't have an indicator on the opposite side.

To do it over again, I'd probably pick a different parts kit...hinking.gif

oh yeah- their stock wrench BLOWS!
man, you really do get what you pay for....
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm sorry, but why anyone would buy a no-name parts kit for $54 from Model 1, who many ARFCOM members have had trouble with, when you can buy a name brand RRA LPK (for $55) from ADCO or Eagle Firearms or any of the vendors that support this board and have awesome service is beyond me.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#21]
My first build had a defective trigger, it was so bad it wouldn't even release the hammer without some work with a dremel. I figured it was normal to have to fit the parts, I've since learned it wasn't.

After giving it some thought I ordered a complete lower parts kit from eagle and stripped the lower bare.

Some of the model 1 parts will make good spares, I tossed the trigger and hammer.

Had no problems at all with the upper, but it soured me on model1 somewhat.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I ordered one of their M4 kits for a range rifle project.  The carrier looked like it was sand cast (very rough, & pitted), the lowest quality I've seen in 15 years of playing with  ARs.  Took a while to loosen the bolt up, I guess you could say it was binding.  I had to send the upper back because the chamber was way too tight.  It was ripping the rims off the cases trying to extract, factory new XM193.  I called to get a return authorization and to have UPS pick it up, and they were not helpful in the least.  "Take it to the post office and we'll refund your shipping".  Tried to explain I don't live or work near a post office and reputable companies would issue a ticket to pick up a defective product, but they are not about customer service.  They did manage to ship me out another upper, same crappy bolt carrier, after it sat at the post office for a few days, but still haven't refunded my shipping costs.  The trigger is a crisp 11+ pounds, the safety selector doesn't have an indicator on the right side, the front sight was an A1 on an A2 upper (they did get that corrected when I sent it back).  The threads on the buffer tube were damaged and very weak, required using a file to clean them up so they would thread into the lower.  The upper looks like crap;  the area"inside the handle" looks like someone cut it out with a Sawzall, whoever built this thing wasn't worried about fit and finish.  The rear sight is seriously canted to the left.  The pivot detent and spring went flying across my garage, however I had no trouble installing the one from my spare parts kit.  For a $100 more I could have put together a Bushy or RRA, I've learned my lesson.  Now someone ask me how I really feel.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:10:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Model 1 attends a local gun show here.  They are hostile towards customers and pull answers out of their butts.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:42:56 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't know about the complaints on Model1 sales parts or kits, I've purchased parts from them, DPMS, and many other suppliers and compared them with calipers and under magnifying lenses there are literally no differences and all parts were interchangeable and worked in several different lower recievers.  

I guess to some people if it's not a colt, bushey or Armalite it's nooooo good, but to me function speaks lounder than words or opinions,
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#25]
my 105 inch barreled pistol kit went together without a hitch and even bumpfires good, 500 rounds and counting

no trouble here
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top