Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2004 8:18:15 PM EDT
I am ready to start assembling my lower.  After spending lots of time this past couple o' weeks on this forum, I am ready.  So far I have a RRA lower.

First, how are the Model 1 kits so inexpensive??? I can have an M4 replica, chrome lined, 1/9, everyting' for $490 plus shipping. How is that possible?

Are these poor parts that will fail? Or is this good stuff?hug.gif
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in the same boat right now, I have a stripped Ameetec lower and I'm not yet sure how I want to complete it. DigDugs response sounds like a pretty good idea. I was considering the M4 style kit from Model 1 also but there are a few things about them I'm not so sure I like like the M4 buttstock says Model 1 on it I think, that sucks and I'm skeptical of the lower parts. The rest seems decent. Plus you can afford to get better parts if you string it out over more time instead of coughing up the whole price at once. Another thing that makes it hard for a newbie is that you're going to hear "Model 1 sucks" "My Model 1 is great" "Kit's suck it must be factory built" "My kits works great"

Everybody has a different opinion when it comes to guns. I guess your own experience is the only thing for sure you can trust. I've had a couple of people tell me not to build a kit and I've had a lot say "roll your own". If I build this kit and it sucks then I guess I learned the hard way or I'll learn from the mistakes I made assembling it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:47:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I know I can piece it together. That was the original idea. BUT, I started adding things up and its just cheaper to buy it all at once.

I'm just one of those firm believers in you get what you pay for.

Do you know where there lower trigger parts come from? Model 1 is in Illinois with Rock River.

What about their barrels, upper rec'v , etc...
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know if you've ever put built a lower before.... but the thread below will be very helpful in putting one together.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=200688
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:19:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I, too, believe in "you get what you pay for" and I also believe in "overkill". I've got a nice 100% RRA NM rifle that started life as a standard flattop and for what I use it for its all I need. I've always wanted the M4 look, but knowing what I'd be doing with it did not justify spending the big bucks. Right now to me spending $520 on a M1S M4 kit was big money. I've been building AK's for the last 6 months and most of those cost a 1/3 the price of this project. 1 AR vs. 3 AK's, I believe I am getting what I paid for. Of course I haven't shot it yet (fingers crossed).
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:05:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I too am riding the same train.  I made another post in this section, but no replies yet as to how difficult it is to build and make safe an upper.  Not trying to hijack this thread, but it seems like buying a part here and there with shipping included adds up to a whole lot more than just buying a complete upper and kit from say M1 or M&A.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Model 1 kits are great.  I build a lightweight CAR and the thing is beautiful, and its made on an Eagle arms lower.  Finish is very nice.  Parts went in smooth, and the gun absolutely kicks ass.  Accurate, too.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top