Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 5:46:27 PM EDT
I am starting on my first AR build and have decided on a 16" CAR with an A2 upper.  I would like to make it as light as possible and was wondering what the weight savings are between the heavy barrel and lightweight barrel configurations.
I have been looking at the kits offered by  J&T and Model 1.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am starting on my first AR build and have decided on a 16" CAR with an A2 upper.  I would like to make it as light as possible and was wondering what the weight savings are between the heavy barrel and lightweight barrel configurations.
I have been looking at the kits offered by  J&T and Model 1.

I have both a 16" Hbar gun and an SP1 carbine and the weight is very considerable.  If you want light go with a thin 16" type barrel.  BM makes one too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:19:08 AM EDT
[#2]
P806

Thanks for the reply.  What would be your rough guess on the weight savings?  A full pound maybe?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:41:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I think even more important than the weight savings is the shift in the weapons balance. Even if it only saves a few ounces (it saves more, trust me), the balance makes it feel lighter.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Its all about the weight distribution of the gun.  The Bushmaster Superlight barrel weighs in at 1.9lbs while the 16" HBAR weights in at 2.7lbs.  On paper, its only a 0.8lb difference, but on a carbine, its night and day.  The heaviest part of most ARs is the barrel, and its one of the few places where you can shave off weight and still have a functioning gun.  My SL carbine points like my finger, and starts and stops on a dime.  I highly recommend the Superlight barrel or the M4 profile barrel over the HBAR
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks all, that was the info I was looking for.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 1:46:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Is the HBAR more accurate though? What are the advantages/disadvatages besides weight? Basically, why do they put HBARs on them?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 1:48:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Is the HBAR more accurate though? What are the advantages/disadvatages besides weight? Basically, why do they put HBARs on them?

HBARs spend a lot less time on the lathe, so they are cheaper. Is this a combat arm or a target weapon? If its the former, you will probably never notice the difference. However, if you shoot 4 or 5 mags off really fast, you may experience a dramatic loss of accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 1:50:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I was discussing defensive weapons tonight and commented that "HBAR was an acronym for stupid". They seem light until you hump them a mile or two at low ready.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:04:23 AM EDT
[#9]
So they are more accurate after firing fast and alot in combat? I'm not usre I understand what you are saying...

My brother-in-law, who was a marine, said that his M16A2 also had a heavy barrel. Is this correct?

I just want the closest thing to what our military is carrying. Being a target weapon, I doubt I'll be humping it anywhere, except to the range and back. If the SHTF though, I want the most accurate rifle I can get.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:07:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Lightweight barrels tend to droop or shoot large groups when they are extremely hot. If you are shooting a semi this shouldnt be a problem, unless you intentionally shoot a hell of a lot of rounds quickly.

The M16A2 has a government profile barrel. It is an A1 profile under the handguards and HBAR from the front sight base on. M4s have a similar profile, with the addition of the M4 barrel stepdown.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:12:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Oh, okay. Thanks for the info!

Well. I ended up with a HBAR on my CAR from J&T last week. I didn't know I had the option of a light barrel until I read the catalog that came with it.hinking.gif

I probably would have opted for the light barel had I known but this rifle is still lighter than my M-1 carbine, so I can't complain too much. I'm still trying to justify my mistake though...
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:48:30 AM EDT
[#12]
The weight savings is in the balance; a pound at the front of your rifle feels much heavier than a pound farther back near the receiver. It's all about perception.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Just wondering how the Bushmaster 16" superlight barrel compares weight wise to what colt uses on the 6520. Ive never shot with anything other than the HBAR, but after handling a 6520 at the show, I think the feel is much nicer.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:55:29 PM EDT
[#14]
The 6520 looks like its the same as the Bushy light.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#15]
It seems that most of the barrels in the build kits are HBARs.  It just does not make much sense to me on building a heavy carbine.  I went to a gun show today wishing to compare the weight differences, and all of the new AR's that were for sale had HBARs.  

I have not ordered the kit to build my new lower yet, but I know I will get a lightweight barrel.  When I build my next one it will not be a carbine setup so I will most likely get a long barreled fluted HBAR and then throw a bipod on the front for shooting at rest.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top