Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2004 9:08:58 PM EDT
Just put my AR together this evening and found the charging handle assembly I had purchased from M1S to be about 1/8" short in length when compared to another from a friends rifle.  Needless to say, the nose of the charging handle (part that surrounds the gas tube) broke off the first time we checked the function of the weapon and the carrier slammed into it.  Definitely put a huge dampner on my first build, as now I have to wait for another one to get here.

I have contacted M1S to notify them of a problem, but thought I'd give everyone here a heads up just incase someone has one on the way.  Just make sure the nose of the charging handle extends to the front edge of the recess in the upper receiver when locked in place.  If it does you're fine...if not then its short.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:15:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Called M1S today and also emailed them some pictures of the charging handle next to another one so they could see infact it was short.  They're sending me out another one, but made no mention on whether they are checking their inventory to see if this was an oddity or if there's more.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:36:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.  Hope they make it right.  Why do I find myself more and more hesitant to buy from M1S?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:30:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Why do I find myself more and more hesitant to buy from M1S?

Probably because there is a good reason why their prices are so much lower than more reputable vendors? ;)

The action spring in the Ace ARFX buttstock kit they sent me was a piece of junk.  (M1S bundles a spring, tube, and buffer with the Ace stocks.) Not enough strength to reliably drive the bolt carrier.  I replaced it and the buffer with Bushmaster parts, and poof, my feeding problems vanished.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:03:30 PM EDT
[#4]
funny, mine are the same length as my bushy handles
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:01:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info.  Hope they make it right.  Why do I find myself more and more hesitant to buy from M1S?

Gee I would have absolutly no idea
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:32:14 AM EDT
[#6]
i have bought or built for friends at least 15-20 kits from model one and have had no problems
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:53:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Still waiting on my replacement to arrive....
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:30:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, my replacement charging handle came in today, and yet again it's roughly 1/16" short.  Sending this one back to M1S along with the original and requesting my card be reimbursed, as I can't rely on them to supply me with useable parts.  

For reference, here are the measurements from one that is the right length, and the ones M1S has supplied me:

Good One = 6.781"
M1S = 6.719"
Difference = 0.062"

Here is a picture of the M1S handle locked into the upper receiver.  
(Note the gap between the front of the handle and the recess in the receiver.)
http://www.savageshooters.com/images/Misc/Model1_Handle.jpg

Now here is a picture showing another handle in locked in the upper receiver that is the proper length.
http://www.savageshooters.com/images/Misc/Good_Handle.jpg

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I would cut your loses and source somewhere else. They probably have a couple of thousand like these and will not admit the problem and just keeep sending you a new one. While standing your ground on principle is fine, with me I value my time and a $15 charge handle is not worth my time. Best of luck.

Hootbro
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top