Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2004 8:26:44 AM EDT
I have read that some lower receivers have sear blocks in them and some do not.  My question is what is the sear block and what is the advantage or disadvantage of having one as I have no idea what one is for?  I recently purchased a DPMS forged lower receiver.  Does it have a sear block in it?  I mean I like my dpms lower(except the ugly grey-ish colored stock that shows stains bad) but if I need one that is different I mean maybe I should trade it or something.  

Wes
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:52:13 AM EDT
[#1]
the sear block is just that a nasty block that sits on the shelf where your reat takedown pin is and takes up that small space. dpms does not have this block that i know of. try a search for colt and sear block cause if i remember right they are the only ones that do this
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:57:49 AM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, the sear block is just to prevent somebody from installing an unregistered DIAS (Drop-In Auto Sear) to convert it to automatic operation. There's no point in having one, it just takes up space. I would assume Colt did it as a political thing to keep the antis happy.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#3]
So if it does not have a sear block then someone can buy a registered drop in kit that can make it full auto like an m-16?  Hmmm, I haven't ever heard of anything such as this.  Well, since Colt is the only one who has the things and they are a waste then I am cool.  Is there somewhere to buy a registered auto sear thing?  In Alabama I can own suppressors and auto weopons and the like if they are properly registered and I have tax stamp and paperwork...not that I want one really.  When I was in the military the old m-16's we had were the old mattel handgard guns that were fully select-fire with auto and they kinda sucked for the most part...they headed to the sky after the first few rounds went.  Anyway thanks for the info.

Wes
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#4]
A drop-in auto sear will run you nearly 10 grand, btw.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:47:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Yup...I have been reading more about them and I want no part of it.  I don't want nothing to do with any of the auto shit.  I dont even want too many people to know I even thought about buying any of it or even asked about what it all means.

My 12 guage with some good quality buckshoot sends enough downrange for that and the AR shoots all the faster I can shoot accurately anyways.  But thanks on the sear block question guys.  I just didnt understand it but now I do

Wes
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top