Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 9:32:13 AM EDT
Is it okay to use steel punches for taking out pins or would you recommend using brass punches?  I already have a good set of steel roll pin and straight punches, but I'm concerned about mushrooming or otherwise damaging the pins.

Ak_kraut
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#1]
This is just me, but I use steel punches exclusively.  May get a ding every now and then, but that's part of the busines.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:08:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I use brass punches but I find I replace the punches pretty often due to mushrooming.  Still, it's cheaper than replacing the pins for the guns.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I use brass punches but I find I replace the punches pretty often due to mushrooming.  Still, it's cheaper than replacing the pins for the guns.

i know what you mean. when that happens, instead of replacing, i file them back down.  

and in arfcom fashion: GET BOTH!

i have a set of each.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I use both.  I try to use a brass punch whenever I can on pins.... but use steel punches for really small pins, or when I have to.

Harbor freight and Northern Tool both have REALLY inexpensive punch sets in steel and brass.

I use this:

www.johnmasen.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=J&Product_Code=MA01&Category_Code=TK

plus a steel punch set I got from Sears... for the 1/16th punch, since I wanted one I could return when I messed it up over time... being so thin.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I use nails as punches
Works OK for me, though
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Steel.My first AR was a colt 6601 HBAR 13 years ago so that took the brunt of my tinkering.Now I can push out pins nice and clean.And I dont know who but I have seen polymer puches for the lowers fire control holes.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies everybody.

krackels
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I like working with brass punches.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top