Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2004 3:41:12 PM EDT
Okay, the detent for the rear take-down pin -- HELP!

I, of course, can get the spring to slide down in there, but that damn detent will NOT go in.  Anyone have any tips or tricks.  For some odd reason, I managed to do this 3 years ago on my 1st build, but it's been a while.

Thanks for any possible help!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#1]
The rear one, huh.. take off your stock, go detent first, then spring. If you havea  collapsistock, push the backplate in, then screw down the castlenut.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The rear one, huh.. take off your stock, go detent first, then spring. If you havea  collapsistock, push the backplate in, then screw down the castlenut.

I don't think we are talking about the same detent.

I'm talking about the one that holds in the rear takedown pin.  It has nothing to do with the stock.  I'm not talking about the buffer detent.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Trust Not_A_Llama on this one, remove the stock....the rear of the spring is held in place by the stock. If your talking about the selector detent, then remove the pistol grip.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:07:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I figured it out.  Yep, that's how I did it a long time ago.  I totally forgot.

Okay, new problem, I launched the spring into the abyss.  

Anyone got a spring they can send/sell me?  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:10:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Ah ha!  Found the little bastard!  Thanks again for the help folks!  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:14:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:25:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
This set definitely a good thing to have around. There may be cheaper sets around, do some searching and you may get lucky.

It would be handy indeed.  Funny you mention it though...

I inspected my other rifle that I claimed to have put the part in years back.  Well, guess what, I was just using the spring, no detent.  I guess I couldn't figure out how to do it back then either.  Then, guess what, I checked my AR pins and springs, and lo and behold, I actually had a few detents and other small springs laying around.  Well, today has been a good day -- I got not one, but two rifles fixed!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#9]
For future reference, you might want to bookmark this page:

www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

The info you needed was just at the end.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Helpful hint for all your spring and detent lauchers:

Go to Radio Shack, and buy a speaker magnet.  Woofer magnets are just glued to the frame, and sometimes in transit get knocked loose.  The store usually sells these for a dollar or so.  Or get some other large magnet.

Tape it to the end of an old broom or mop handle.

When a tiny part is "lost" you can sweep the area with the magnet, like using a metal detector, and hopefully find the part.

You will be surprised at what you do find.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#11]
dumb question....is there some reason not to tap the back of this hole and install a set screw so the spring dosen't launch when you remove the stock??
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:12:47 PM EDT
[#12]
You'll lose spring travel distance. You'll make it harder to do repairs, if you need to. How often do you remove the stock?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:22:09 PM EDT
[#13]
well my new DPMS lower didn't come with the spring or detent in place so I am going to remove it one time for that and afrerwords it should be insert bullets and shoot as often as possible
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:23:55 PM EDT
[#14]
It's not a real problem; I wouldn't worry. I take my rifle down fully (including stock) on a pretty regular basis; I've never had an issue.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top