Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2004 7:01:53 PM EDT
Which side do the taper pins knock out from on a front sight?
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#1]
usually the go from left to right(ejection port side).  

push on the smaller end (usually the left)
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Make sure you hit them HARD, if you don't, the pins will peen and mushroom.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok guys, I'm still not sure which side to knock the pins out from, after looking at them closely, the right side (ejection port side) of the pins have small indentations in them, and the left side of the pins are flat. both sides look about the same diameter to me though. I want to make sure I am banging these out from the right side before I beat the hell out of them. This is a Model 1 Sales upper if that helps any.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe you can do it from either side.

But if you can seen a peened side, than you know which wayt they went in and makes sense to go the opposite way to remove.

Stickman got it right on. The key on a friction type of fitting is to give it a fairly hard strike to move the binding areas before it gets a chance to deform and cause more friction problems.

One or two hard strikes will normally move them and the rest will be cake.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I got the FSB off tonite, they were not taper pins, just regular straight pins, would have come out either side. They knocked out easily, and the FSB came off pretty easy with a rubber mallet. I put the YHM low profile gas block on, looks pretty good except for a small silver ring of bare metal that isn't covered by the gas block. Model 1 sales doesnt parkerize the barrel before the FSB is put on. I will probably just touch it up with some flat black paint. All in all, a much easier job than I had anticipated.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top