Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2004 11:19:57 AM EDT
As a cherry to the AR-15 build crew, I was wondering how the quality of the Stag stripped lower compares to the RRA stripped lower.  The Stag is $20 less than the RRA, that's why I'm wondering.  The advertising for the Stag implies it has excellent tolerences.  Anyone care to comment?  Any info appreciated.
Thanks,
Karl
Link Posted: 5/15/2004 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I have heard nothing but good reviews regarding the Stag lower, and I plan to aquire one within the month. it is also the best price on ANY stripped lower I have found. I think most others will agree.
Link Posted: 5/15/2004 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#2]
A lot of the lower receivers available are made by the same machine shop, the story that is going around is that this machine shop has come out with their own brand name lower, which is Stag Arms.  Based on a number of first hand reports from buyers of the Stag Arms lower, I wouldn't hesitate to get one myself, and I probably will in the next few months, I'm looking forward to my next project!  

BTW I have done business with Chris at Eagle Firearms, I have received excellent service from him!

Link Posted: 5/15/2004 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
A lot of the lower receivers available are made by the same machine shop, the story that is going around is that this machine shop has come out with their own brand name lower, which is Stag Arms.  Based on a number of first hand reports from buyers of the Stag Arms lower, I wouldn't hesitate to get one myself, and I probably will in the next few months, I'm looking forward to my next project!  

BTW I have done business with Chris at Eagle Firearms, I have received excellent service from him!

Diddo.....

I have one and I can't tell much difference between the RRA I have vs the Stag.  Granted, I haven't looked at it very closely.  Both are still unbuilt.
Link Posted: 5/16/2004 6:28:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I am new to AR's also my first built.I used a stag lower from eagle firearms. Happy with my rifle and the help I've gotten from here and will be building another one.  Maybe two more seeing as I have two boys.
Link Posted: 5/16/2004 6:53:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I am very pleased with the quality, and service I got from Chris and Kendra ant Eagle Arms.
Link Posted: 5/16/2004 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought 2 from Chris and Kendra since they are right down the road from me and compared them to a couple of stripped rra lowers I have.  They are absolutely identical in every way.  I think they both come from Continental.

Only caution that you should be aware of going in is that they are a very tight fit for most uppers.  sometimes you have to file a bit on the rear, but most of the time I just slam them shut and the does the job.  

Great receivers and I wouldn't hesitate to build one again.

Jeff
Link Posted: 5/16/2004 6:08:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/16/2004 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#8]
One more good word for the Stag Arms lower that I assembled with a RRA lower kit.  The lower was beautifully machined and finished, with an almost pitch-black color.  Everything went together with ease.  The mag-well is not tight, at least with the various USGI and British-mags that I tried it with.  I borrowed a friends late-model Bushmaster upper and the fit was tight, but nothing outlandish.  It's one lower I would recommend without reservation.  But I might be overstating the case since I've only assembled one.  I also rather liked the logo, and the fact that there was no caliber designation anywhere on the lower.  To me it looks very clean and un-cluttered.  Just one man's opinion.
Link Posted: 5/16/2004 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Stag and RRA are the same lower.
Link Posted: 5/17/2004 12:30:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I would buy a Stag Arms lower if the logo on the side of the magwell didn't look so "Walmart".
Link Posted: 5/17/2004 7:50:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the good word, guys!  Now the only issue is, do I buy one or two?!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2004 8:30:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thanks for the good word, guys!  Now the only issue is, do I buy one or two?!!

Split the difference and buy 4!

You can never have too many stripped lowers around and the wife doesn't consider them guns until one day a new AR magically appears! ( I have 11 now!)

Jeff
Link Posted: 5/18/2004 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I just ordered two today.  As soon as my FFL dealer sends his info they are going to ship them out.  This is my first non RRA receiver so I'll let you know my opinion (for what its worth) in a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 6/3/2004 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I got a stripped Stag lower last week and built it up last night.  This morning i went to put two different Bushy uppers on it, and I couldn't get either to fit.  

The problem is that the lug on the upper that the takedown pin goes through is too fat to fit in the slot in the lower.  It may be that it's just a real tight fit and that all I have to do is lube it up and tap lightly, but I don't want to do that until I'm told that's the solution.  The Bushmaster lower has a bit of material removed from the lower to avoid the problem.

This should be easy to fix.  Anyone else run into this problem?

BTW, the lower is great.  Finish is beautiful.  Everything else went together perfectly.  I'm not knocking Stag or Eagle Arms.  I've left a phone message at Eagle.  I'll leave an update here, when one is available.

Cabby
Link Posted: 6/3/2004 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I haven't had a chance to put the FC parts in my lower yet.  But I have mated up the Stag lower and RRA upper.  The fit is very tight, as I expected since RRA lowers are also known for this.  I will most likely just file a bit off of the lug and touch it up with Aluminum black.  It is easy to see that the lower is not machined back quite as far as it needs to be to allow an easy fit.  This is not a serious issue to me.  I would not hesitate to buy another one of these lowers at this point.  Also, the finish is identical to my RRA upper.
Link Posted: 6/3/2004 2:01:18 PM EDT
[#16]
incase of resale i would go with the RRA it will hold its value better.
Link Posted: 6/3/2004 2:18:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought 2 Stag lowers, and they were the best finish I have ever seen. They also have sequential serial numbers. I'd buy 2 so they'd be a highly collectable pair, together.
Link Posted: 6/3/2004 3:38:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I would buy a Stag Arms lower if the logo on the side of the magwell didn't look so "Walmart".

Roger on that  Also, I can buy a Rock River lower at the gun show this weekend for $105 walkaway.  Why should I buy a "less expensive" lower, pay shipping and the dealer fee, end up spending within $5 of what the RR will cost, and have to wait a couple of weeks on top of it all.

Nope. Think I'll just go to  the show this weekend
Link Posted: 6/3/2004 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Maybe it's the hillbilly in me, but I like the logo.
Link Posted: 6/3/2004 3:55:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I like the logo too!  

Link Posted: 6/3/2004 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I just got my Stag lower from eagle firearms today.  The lower parts went together easily, except for the front pivot pin, but that was because the parts kit was cheap junk and the pin was oversized by a few thousandths.  A little work with the Dremel fixed that.  Also, the trigger and hammer pins are a little on the loose side.   If you IM me I'll tell you where I got the parts so you don't make the same mistake as me. (don't want to publicly bash the company).  The only other issue is my bushmaster upper won't seat all the way in the rear take down lug area.  This is proof to me that Stag and RRA are the same mfg.  Tomorrow I'll file down the lug on the upper a little and everything should be fine.  It will give me the opportunity to hand-fit the upper and lower for a wobble-free fit.
     I'm very happy with the quality of my Stag lower.  The problems I had were all related to the lower parts kit, not the lower.
Link Posted: 6/4/2004 5:55:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Glad to see that the tight fit is normal for Stag/RRA lowers.  I'll file the lug and be done with it.

Cabby
Link Posted: 6/4/2004 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Roger on thathe
Nope. Think I'll just go to  the show this weekendhr

We have a show this weekend also.  But I've never seen anyone selling lowers for that price.  Even RRA lowers.  It's nice if you can find it at a show for less.  But that's not an option I've seen here.  The dealers that frequent the shows here don't do enough volume to be able to give discounts like that.  I wish they did.
Link Posted: 6/4/2004 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Roger on that  Also, I can buy a Rock River lower at the gun show this weekend for $105 walkaway.  Why should I buy a "less expensive" lower, pay shipping and the dealer fee, end up spending within $5 of what the RR will cost, and have to wait a couple of weeks on top of it all.

We have a show this weekend also.  But I've never seen anyone selling lowers for that price.  Even RRA lowers.  It's nice if you can find it at a show for less.  But that's not an option I've seen here.  The dealers that frequent the shows here don't do enough volume to be able to give discounts like that.  I wish they did.

I fully understand  Right now, there's just one outfit, from Columbus GA, if I recall, that's selling the RR lowers at that kind of price at the shows down here.  Bought a complete lower from them a couple of months ago and will likely pick up a stripped job this week; if they haven't bumped their prices since last month.

What I'd like to see is one of the other big sellers, who deals Bushie and DPMS, get nervous enough to at least get within striking distance of the RR prices.  My complaint about Rock River, and everybody else who gets lowers from that forge in CT, is that they are a few thousanths narrower than most everyone elses uppers, and often (not always) another brand upper will overhang the lower on each side. If the lower a bit wider than the upper, I don't mind; but when it's the other way round---eeech  My wierdness, I guess

Anyway, good luck w/your project
Link Posted: 6/7/2004 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Just received two Stag lowers today.  Fit and finish are the same as Rock River arms.  They are a very tight lower though.  Everything went in great.  Took about 20 minutes to assemble the entire rifle.  No problems at all using a DPMS lower receiver parts kit.

When I went to piece the lower to the upper it just wouldn't go.  I've had some RRA lowers that were tight but this was so tight that it was impossible to close.  Took a dremel and light sandpaper to the upper receiver lug for a couple minutes and it closed no problem.  Still real tight but should improve with a few rounds.

I put alittle Aluma black on the lug and it looked brand new.

I like the emblem.  Worth every penny of my $80.00
Link Posted: 6/7/2004 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Don't hesitate to buy a Stag!  They are high quality MilSpec and function flawlessly, build up nicely as well!
Link Posted: 6/7/2004 6:16:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/11/2004 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like the logo too!  

The logo I think is pretty nifty as well.
Link Posted: 6/11/2004 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Glad to see that the tight fit is normal for Stag/RRA lowers.  I'll file the lug and be done with it.

Cabby

Before you start filing on it try open and shutting it  solidly several times. I just did a complete build on a Stag lower and RRA upper. At first it wouldnt close the last  3/16 of an inch or so, but after  pressure fitting it  a dozen times or so it fit completely to the point of having to bump the rear stock to get it to seperate. after a few more times it would open after just tapping on the rear. Then I took one of my gunsmith stones and just smoothed the worn areas.  Now it opens and shuts with out a problem and there is absolutely NO play what so ever. There was/is no wear on the lower from this process, just a little on the upper rear lug. Which tells me the anodizing/finish is harder on the Stag lower than the RRA upper

I also thought I was going to have to radius the rear corners of the rear lug to get it to fit. Im glad I didnt  and just pressure fit it.

I wish I had bought a couple more of em before the price went up

that's what I do as well.  I call it "slam fitting" them!

Couple times of slamming them shut and opening them makes for a perfect fit.
Link Posted: 6/15/2004 5:48:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I just got a stag lower.  The primary reason I went with it is the fact that it has no caliber on it.  The fact that it is cheap and has an excellent rep didn't hurt either.  My plan is to build a 6.8 mm Rem SPC rifle, and the logo was the one thing I did struggle with.  I don't know that I like it yet, but I'm still waiting on my FFL to recieve it.  Once the rifle's built I probably won't notice the logo.
Link Posted: 6/17/2004 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I have no experience with the Stag, but i put together a RRA yesterday. When assembled with the RRA upper it would not close all the way. It was closed just enough where I could pick it up by the barrel and slam, sledge hammer type slam,  the carry handle on the ground. Perfect fit. I think it helped that the floor was carpeted. No visible damage. One problem, I cannot get the two seperated. I suppose i'll shoot the shit out of it and see if it loosens up. If not i guess it will never get a cleaning.
Link Posted: 6/17/2004 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Whoa!  I did not slam fit mine.  I had heard enough reports that I had a file and some aluminum black waiting.  I didn't have to take much off of the lug to get a nice fit.  Tight, yet easily moved.  My Stag lower is great.  The finish is essentially identical to the RRA upper that went on it.  And at a $20 savings over the RRA lower, I was able to buy a magazine!
Link Posted: 6/26/2004 3:10:24 PM EDT
[#33]
I just received my Stag lower receiver the other day and assembled it.  I mated it with a Model 1 6.8mm Remington SPC 16" M4 C.A.R. kit.  It fit very snuggly together.  I am very pleased other than the fact I still am waiting for ammo.  I like the Whitetail Deer logo and the finish matches the upper and is very good looking!!!  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Stags Lower Receivers to anyone!
Link Posted: 6/27/2004 5:59:44 AM EDT
[#34]
STAG is a great lower!  I would not hesitate to purchase one.  Like what has been said before, the fit is a little tight.  I had to ream out the pin holes to get my pins in.  Other than that, everything is flawless.  I'd rank it at the top of the group!
Link Posted: 6/27/2004 2:30:13 PM EDT
[#35]
They have recently increased their price to $89.  Still a great deal for the money.  If you ever have plans to re-sell your AR I'd go with the RRA for the extra $10.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:24:15 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

My complaint about Rock River, and everybody else who gets lowers from that forge in CT, is that they are a few thousanths narrower than most everyone elses uppers, and often (not always) another brand upper will overhang the lower on each side. If the lower a bit wider than the upper, I don't mind; but when it's the other way round---eeech  My wierdness, I guess

How big a problem is this overhang? Has anyone else experienced it?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Just got two of them and love them.
Really TIGHT though.
used a dpms lower anddidn't think I was going to get all the pins in there.
And I like the logo too.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
<center><table width=85% border=0><tr><td width=100% class=textBody><hr height=1px color=black noshade>Quoted:
<center><table width=85% border=0><tr><td width=100% class=textBody><hr height=1px color=black noshade>Quoted:
Quoted:

I fully understand  Right now, there's just one outfit, from Columbus GA, if I recall, that's selling the RR lowers at that kind of price at the shows down here.  Bought a complete lower from them a couple of months ago and will likely pick up a stripped job this week; if they haven't bumped their prices since last month.

What I'd like to see is one of the other big sellers, who deals Bushie and DPMS, get nervous enough to at least get within striking distance of the RR prices.  My complaint about Rock River, and everybody else who gets lowers from that forge in CT, is that they are a few thousanths narrower than most everyone elses uppers, and often (not always) another brand upper will overhang the lower on each side. If the lower a bit wider than the upper, I don't mind; but when it's the other way round---eeech  My wierdness, I guess

Anyway, good luck w/your project

Well, I went to the show that weekend, and the Rock River selling outfit wasn't there.  Another outfit was selling Century Arms lowers, though.  Picked one up, looked at it, and discovered that it had the exact same CM (Continental Machine) prefix as the Rock River and Stag lowers,

Price:$99 walkaway; no sales tax Compared it to my two RR lowers when I got home. It's even better finished than the RR pieces. Not a trace of forge seam anywhere on it. And no funky pictures of animals, bullseyes or snakes.

Happy camper time  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:59:24 PM EDT
[#40]
i've finally assembled my AR on the stag lower.  perfect fit with a bushy A2 upper fitted with RRA barrel and bold assmbly.  finish matches perfectly too.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#41]
I matched up one of mine to the Beowulf. Went together great.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#42]
the slam fit methods works great...and keeps you from getting overzealous with the dremmel or sandpaper and ending up with a sloppy fit.  smack them together real hard, then close the front pin.....then clack the upper and lower together about 10 times and it should be a nice tight (but not TOO tight) fit.

Might need a rubber mallet to get it back open the first few times.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:40:49 PM EDT
[#43]
I have both and both are excellent quality receivers.   Also just ordered 10 stripped Stag receivers from Eaglefirearms.

556man
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top