Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2004 8:36:19 AM EDT
I have a shot out 20 inch light weight barrel that I would like to play with.  I want to use this to make dedicated 22lr upper.  I want to move the sight post back to accept carbine handguards (22lr no gasport needed) and shorten the barrel.  What I need to know is how to recrown and thread the barrel for a flash hider.  I would like to use a standard A2 flash hider and need to know the thread size.  I have the standard garage type power tools but need to know where to buy tools to actually thread the barrel.  

I know it would be easier to have this done by a professional so if anyone else has done this and failed miserably let me know so I just go and buy a new barrel.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:18:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a new barrel.  First, the 22LR is .222 diameter which makes it kinda loose in a .223 bore in good condition.  It would be very loose in a shot out barrel.  Not to mention it's the wrong twist.  I doubt you'd get 4 - 6" at 50 yrds.  Second, while Brownells sells a die for cutting the muzzle for a flash suppressor, you'd still have to have the muzzle turned down to the correct diameter.  Third, Brownells also sells a handheld crowning cutter, but it indexes off the bore.  If your barrel is shot out then you wouldn't get a very accuate cut.  By the time you bought the dies and cutters and risk screwing the whole thing up, you prolly be half way to buying a new barrel just as you want.  I would imagine you could get a 22lr barrel for $100 to $150.  Diligent shopping would get you closer to the $100 mark or less.  Try eBay.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:36:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Couple ways to go about it.

You might be better off relining the old barrel with a rimfire liner.  They come in lenghs around 26", about .312 diameter.  I've never tried to drill out a chrome bore, and it might take a couple bits to do it.  I've done this on a old marlin 1892 and it is a pretty slick method.

You can buy 10/22 barrels for 10-15 bucks on Ebay.  These are already chambered and cheap to play with.  The diameter and length is a bit short, but make for good practice.

A used Win52 barrel should be on ebay every now and then.  It is the chamber end that goes, and cutting a bit off a 28" barrel and rechambering shouldn't be a problem.  A machine shop could do simple contouring in a couple hours....

:)  You really need serious guy tools.    
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top