Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2004 2:40:33 PM EDT
Just got my OLY SUM barrel today...and it's got actual taper pins lol...not like my Model 1 kits.  They stick out about 1/16" on either side...and they aren't very hard...an exploratory tap with a regular punch already started peening the damn thing.  I'm off to the hardware store to see if I can find a concave punch.  If not, something actually made me order a taper pin starter punch from Brownell's today along with some other stuff, so worst case scenario, I'll just wait for that if I can't find one at the local store.  

This is obviously not gonna be as easy as knocking out the pins in the Model 1 barrels...or loosening 2 screws on the gas block on my Armalite upper. Guess I'm spoiled .
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to my world.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just got my OLY SUM barrel today...and it's got actual taper pins lol...not like my Model 1 kits.  They stick out about 1/16" on either side...and they aren't very hard...an exploratory tap with a regular punch already started peening the damn thing.  I'm off to the hardware store to see if I can find a concave punch.  If not, something actually made me order a taper pin starter punch from Brownell's today along with some other stuff, so worst case scenario, I'll just wait for that if I can't find one at the local store.  

This is obviously not gonna be as easy as knocking out the pins in the Model 1 barrels...or loosening 2 screws on the gas block on my Armalite upper. Guess I'm spoiled .

Went through the same thing with my Bushmaster, went through absolute hell to get the pins out. First thing, get the concave punch. Second, soak the bastards in Kroil. Soak them a good long while, then give them a few good solid whacks. If they still end up mushrooming, get a steel dril tip, and drill enough into the pin to fit a punch into it, then whack it and it should come out.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top