Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2003 1:06:35 PM EDT
Hey guys, I have a rock river lower and the selector detent pin is stuck in its hole and has also caused the selector switch to s stuck in the fire position. I removed the grip and the the spring, but the pin will not come out. The only thing I can think to do is to get a drill bit that fits the hole perfectly (or alittle smaller then the hole) and to drill out the selector pin and replace it with a new pin. Is this a good approach or is there something else I can/should do?

Thanks

Christian
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:58:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Usually a stuck detent will drop out if you wiggle the selector lever enough. Light taps with a no mar may be necessary to get the detent started.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#2]
[b]Just to double check, sometimes we forget the simple things.[/b] The action has to be cocked before the selector will move to the SAFE position, if it isn't cocked it will not move to SAFE.

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#3]
That true, it never entered my mind.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#4]
The hole for the safety detent has two diameters, this sets how far the detent will go into the safety selector. Do not drill this part out. I agree with Wingman26 most forget that the hammer has to be cocked so the safety selector can move to the safe position.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 2:37:00 AM EDT
[#5]
As an armorer here is my suggestion, separate upper from your lower. Remove the grip and spring, then turn the lower upside down and take some 3 in 1 oil and drip it into the hole. Let it set for a few days and then attempt to move the selector, this should free it up. When I build any AR-15 I use Brownells action lube on all pins and selectors, springs etc.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I oiled it up yesterday and then I drilled it out and then I replaced it with a slightly smaller pin. It works great now, thanks for all of the replies! :D
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:40:58 AM EDT
[#7]
that's strange i have a RR lower and have the same problem, just haven't posted it.   i was soaking mine upside down to see if it would loosen up and the detent fall out.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 1:26:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine was in so tight that I don't think it would have ever come out on its own. But it would have been much either if it came out with oil alone.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I had to drill mine out a bit to even fit that detent. This was also a RRA lower.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top