Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2003 11:49:53 AM EDT
Like all of us, I am hoping the 94 ban expires.  If it does expire, the first thing I am going to do is install a bayonet lug.  My current upper uses a 4 rail gas block with 3 set screws to hold it in place on the barrel.  I am wondering what options I have for upgrading to a bayonet friendly gas block/sight.

I would prefer not to have to drill channels in the barrel for front sight base pins if possible, is there any other option?

Thanks,
--Dan
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 1:00:49 PM EDT
[#1]
You could replace the gas block with a preban front sight base or add one of those bayo lugs that clamp on the barrel.You'd also have to add a bayo compatible FH if you wanted mount the bayo.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 1:45:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You could replace the gas block with a preban front sight base or add one of those bayo lugs that clamp on the barrel.You'd also have to add a bayo compatible FH if you wanted mount the bayo.
View Quote

ya lost me.  if you add one of those bay lugs that clamp on the barrel, you'd also have to add a bayo compatible FH?  can't you just use the  the bayo adapter without a FH or are you saying that the FH may get in the way if it isn't compatible?
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 2:36:19 PM EDT
[#3]
The ring on the bayonet is sized to fit around the FH exactly.  If you have a post-ban muzzle brake it may not fit around it and if you have a bare muzzle it'll wobble around on the barrel because of the smaller diameter.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I am pretty sure my fake flash hider is the right size for a bayonet.  So it looks like my options are:

1. Regular front sight (requires drilling my barrel)

2. Clamp on front sight
3. Clamp on Bayonet lug (never seen one)

So, can anybody tell me who the best manufacturers of the above 2 and 3 are?

Thanks,
--Dan
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 5:25:21 PM EDT
[#5]

3. Clamp on Bayonet lug (never seen one)
View Quote

I think CMMG, has a photo of them on their web site.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks Mike!  that cleared it up for me.  I wasn't quite sure how they were mounted.  I knew about the lug but not the FH.  thanks again!
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Your fake flash hider will not allow a bayo to fit it.It's bigger than NATO FH's to prevent grenade launchers from attaching.You will need to put on a A2 or Phantom or Vortex.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 8:13:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Im not so sure that my fake suppressor is the incorrect diameter.  The upper is a Fulton Armory rig, I have just emailed Clint to see if the flash suppressor is in fact bayonet compatabile.  I would think if somebody went through the trouble of making a fake flash hider that looked real, they would be as close to authentic as possible.  Any tips greatly appreciated.

Then again, maybe they used an incorrect diameter on purpose to keep folks from adding bayonets to post ban rifles and causing legal problems.

Thanks,
--Dan
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#9]
The flash suppressors are all the NATO standard diameter to also function as grenade launchers.  All post-ban muzzle brakes must be a little bit bigger so that the grenades won't fit.  As Redbone said, the bayonet won't fit over it either.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top