Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2003 8:37:13 AM EDT
I was just curious about this. I'm just getting my feet wet in the AR-15 area, starting to shop for M-4 kits and noticed that most of the kit distributers jack up the price for post ban. why is this?
Thanks,
Tom
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 9:16:21 AM EDT
[#1]
A lot of the difference in pricing will depend on options that are included.  For example in our post EM-4 kits the post ban version has a tac brake permanently attached which is a $40 upgrade.  Also our EM-4 kits include the 6 position M-4 stock instead of the 4 position CAR stock and double heat shield M-4 handguards over the single heat shield CAR handguards, but those options can be upgraded or downgraded depending on your needs.

Jesse
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for answering my question so quickly. Regarding the stock, I thought adjustable stocks were only allowed on pre-ban. Based on what you are saying I can have an adjustable stock and a muzzle brake ? I'm a little confused.
Thanks,
Tom
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 10:39:57 AM EDT
[#3]
NO, you cannot have an adjustable stock on a postban weapon.  I think Jesse was just giving the standards for J&T's preban M4 kit.  

Permanently attaching the brake does add money to the cost of the kit.  You may also want to check the barrel options that are being used.  Chrome lining will cost more as will a fluted barrel.  

Other than that, I don't know why a postban would cost more than a preban setup.
Scott

Wanted to add, J&T was great to deal with and the quality of the parts was great too.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 5:00:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I would think too, that dealers would sell more post ban kits than pre-ban, wouldn't the price of postbans be lower than prebans?
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 5:29:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would think too, that dealers would sell more post ban kits than pre-ban, wouldn't the price of postbans be lower than prebans?
View Quote

Supply and demand.  If the demand for post-ban kits is higher than demand for pre-ban kits, it stands to reason cost of post-ban kits COULD be artificially inflated.  However, I'm not saying that is the case here.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 7:34:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Supply and demand.  If the demand for post-ban kits is higher than demand for pre-ban kits, it stands to reason cost of post-ban kits COULD be artificially inflated.  However, I'm not saying that is the case here.
View Quote

I agree with Bookhound.  The post kits COULD be artificially inflated.  A plane jane kit probably costs less then the optioned post ban kit.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top