Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2003 6:43:19 PM EDT
Hello, I need to remove the front sight tower in order to install a FF RAS tube, but I cant take those tapered pins out. Any tricks maybe?
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have the rifle properly secured in a vice? Along with that and a good hammer and punch, they will come out. You are trying to knock them out left to right?
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, left to right but those damn pins wont move a bit.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#3]
You can try some spray penetrant like PB Blaster, or giving the area a little heat.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 5:06:14 AM EDT
[#4]
[b]DO NOT[/b] remove the pins with the upper, or barrel, in a vise. That is a sure way to bend the barrel, I've seen it done more than once. Besides that the barrel acts like a lever and absorbs most of the hammer's impact.

Lay the barrel on your bench and support the off side of the front sight base with something solid but malleable. I use nylon blocks 1/2" thick. Some use a chunk of wood. Find the biggest pin punch (mine is 1/4" diameter steel) you can and use it. My little 8 oz ball peen has never failed me on hundreds of front sight base removals.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 5:50:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Tweak,

Are taper pins meant to be re-used?  I removed my front sight to add a float tube and wasn't able to drive one the taper pins completely back in.  I was wondering if I should have used new taper pins for the re-assembly.  I am afraid that the head of the taper pin may have "swelled" from beating on it and will now not fit completely down in to the hole.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top