Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/24/2003 6:43:19 PM EDT
Hello, I need to remove the front sight tower in order to install a FF RAS tube, but I cant take those tapered pins out. Any tricks maybe?
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have the rifle properly secured in a vice? Along with that and a good hammer and punch, they will come out. You are trying to knock them out left to right?
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, left to right but those damn pins wont move a bit.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#3]
You can try some spray penetrant like PB Blaster, or giving the area a little heat.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 5:06:14 AM EDT
[#4]
[b]DO NOT[/b] remove the pins with the upper, or barrel, in a vise. That is a sure way to bend the barrel, I've seen it done more than once. Besides that the barrel acts like a lever and absorbs most of the hammer's impact.

Lay the barrel on your bench and support the off side of the front sight base with something solid but malleable. I use nylon blocks 1/2" thick. Some use a chunk of wood. Find the biggest pin punch (mine is 1/4" diameter steel) you can and use it. My little 8 oz ball peen has never failed me on hundreds of front sight base removals.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 5:50:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Tweak,

Are taper pins meant to be re-used?  I removed my front sight to add a float tube and wasn't able to drive one the taper pins completely back in.  I was wondering if I should have used new taper pins for the re-assembly.  I am afraid that the head of the taper pin may have "swelled" from beating on it and will now not fit completely down in to the hole.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top