Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2003 3:47:49 PM EDT
Ok...I'm trying to build the lightest carbine possible.

16" Lightweight barrel C.A.R. kit from Model 1 Sales
A3 upper
Forged DPMS lower

How much is this going to weight unloaded?
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#1]
KY;

My forged lower with Bushmaster internals and a Bushmaster A2 stock group sporting an Olympic FAR-15 flattop upper with no front sight weighs 6.33 lbs without optics.

Cheers!
Him
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Swap the standard stock for an ACE Ultralight stock.  [url=http://www.riflestocks.com]CLICK HERE.[/url]  Its essentially a foam cover over the receiver extension tube plus a plate that goes on the end.  I have one, it works great.

[img]http://home.mebtel.net/~hicksfam/FlyGun.jpg[/img]

edited to add pic.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Carbine Man;

How much does it weight??? That's what he wants to know, not what we think he should do.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#4]
5.6 lbs dry.

I have the same upper on a cav lower.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 5:32:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Carbine_Man, that's a cool buttstock...I'd buy one today, if it was a little more reasonably priced.  $90 for what is, if you look at the ACE website, a $4 foam tube, a $12 buttpad, and whatever they charge for the receiver buttress (whatever they call it, don't remember).  I mean, they could sell that for $40 and still make money.  

I've got the ACE skeleton stock, and have been very happy with it...I just wish that one you've got was cheaper.  I'll probably buy one anyway, but I won't be happy about the price lol.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 5:35:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ok...I'm trying to build the lightest carbine possible.

16" Lightweight barrel C.A.R. kit from Model 1 Sales
A3 upper
Forged DPMS lower

How much is this going to weight unloaded?
View Quote

Do a search of the AR board for "Weight Database"...then pop over to the Maryland AR15 Shooter's Site...you can find a pretty comprehensive list of component weights there.  

I was trying to get a weight database going here, but it was hampered by the scale I had only going to 2 lbs., so a lot of the stuff I wanted to weigh...like the complete lightweight upper, were just too heave.  

I still plan on buying a better scale, so I will update what weight data I have at some point.

Your choice of buttstocks will have a significant effect on the weight, everything else being equal.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 8:41:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Regular CAR or M4 handguards are lighter than aluminum free float tubes.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Regular CAR or M4 handguards are lighter than aluminum free float tubes.  

Ghost
View Quote

Does that include the bbl nut, snap ring, weld spring, delta ring and handguard cap?
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 9:25:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, I've never actually measured it (cause I forgot to...LOL) but I can feel the weight difference when I had regular carbine handguards and then changed to an Olympic Arms FIRSH handguard.  It was significant enough for me to feel when handling the weapon.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 9:38:55 AM EDT
[#10]
How does model 1's lw barrel/upper compare with the weight of the Bushmaster LW barrel/upper???
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#11]
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p6b36b80306374167922aa84d9cd3f668/fc4790e3.jpg[/img]

Bushy Superlight barrel
DPMS lo-pro upper
Oly lower
ACE skeleton stock

weighs 5.5lb
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Hold out a bit for a new Cavalry Arms plastic lower. They should be out soon.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I held a AR with a plastic lower not too long ago at a local gun shop.  I didn't like the feel of it at all.  

I don't mind giving up some weight for metal.

I love Glocks so I'm not against plastic in a weapon but something just didn't feel right about it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Cav lower (MK1) with an generic m-4 upper. It is very light, and the lower is very well made.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top