Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2003 7:14:58 PM EDT
Any place I can get instructions to do the above. I know there is more to it but seems to me you torque down the barrel, throw a bolt in it and shoot. This headspacing thing is also a mystery to me. Any info would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Almost any new barrel you buy (from a reputable company, such as Colt, BM, DPMS, RRA, etc.)will already be headspaced, so you shouldn't have to worry about that. In fact, you'll have a much more difficult time finding a new barrel that ISN'T headspaced.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:56:46 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are assebling an upper, and have a barrel/bolt combination that didn't come from the same source, you shold check it.

Here's how I do it.

First, I take an empty cartridge that has been fired. The bolt should close on this.

Then I take the bolt apart, remove the ejector, and the extractor.  Put bolt back in carrier, and try to close on the headspace gauge. (Availalble at Brownells I'll get you the part #)

Try to close the bolt by pushing on the rear with your fingers, it should not close.

The trickiest part of the whole procedure is removing the ejector.  Wear eye protection, and/or do it in a baggie.

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:41:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Any place I can get instructions to do the above. I know there is more to it but seems to me you torque down the barrel, throw a bolt in it and shoot. This headspacing thing is also a mystery to me. Any info would be appreciated.
View Quote

Actually, it's pretty much that easy - just tighten the barrel nut until the next gas tube notch lines up and that's it.  Here's a few threads to read - it'll save us from retyping all our usual flames over again. [:D]

[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=162176]This one[/url] and [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=161133]this one[/url].  Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Regular headspace gauges won't work on Colt barrels.  A standard field gauge will close on a Colt barrel and misleading that it's excessive.  Colt has it's own gauges.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top